Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UNHCR Suspending Operations in Eastern DRC

Previous article | Next
VOA News - June 7, 2008

Schlein report - Download (MP3) audio clip
Schlein report - Listen (MP3) audio clip


The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) says it is suspending operations in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo following a deadly attack by rebels on a makeshift camp in the Rutshuru area of North Kivu province.  The raid on Kinyandoni camp left at least nine people dead and scores wounded.

The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) says it is suspending operations in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo following a deadly attack by rebels on a makeshift camp in the Rutshuru area of North Kivu province.  The raid on Kinyandoni camp left at least nine people dead and scores wounded.  Lisa Schlein reports for VOA from Geneva.

The camp shelters some 5,000 internally displaced people.  UN officials blame the murderous attack on the rebel Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda. 

They say several armed men stormed the camp, stealing mobile telephones and cash.  As they left, witnesses say the rebels started shooting indiscriminately at people in the camp, including a group of children who were playing.

A spokesman for the UN refugee agency, Andrej Mahecic, tells VOA the Congolese army drove the attackers out of the camp, but two children who were shot later died.

"UNHCR is shocked and alarmed by the fact that the displaced people who had already been victims of the fighting throughout 2007 were targeted in this way and there is definitely a need for lasting peace in North Kivu," he said.  "There are hundreds of thousands of displaced people in need of shelter, in need of protection and in need of solution." 

The UNHCR reports an estimated 860,000 people have been forced to flee their homes in North Kivu.  The agency and its partners are managing sites sheltering around 80,000 of the internally displaced.

In January, the government and a number of Congolese rival groups signed a peace accord.  But, it has been breached on several occasions.

Mahecic says the area remains volatile and, as seen this week, new eruptions of violence remain a constant threat.  Because of the attack on the camp, he says the UNHCR is suspending its operations in the Rutshuru area. 

He says all other humanitarian aid agencies also have decided to pull out of the area, which is located about 70 kilometers north of Goma.

"This is just a temporary situation until there is at least some resemblance of stability and some resemblance of the basic security that we can send the staff back," he added.  "You have to understand that UNHCR staff and the workers, in fact, some of the government officials were in the makeshift site as the rebel attack took place." 

Mahecic says, fortunately, none of the aid workers were hurt during the attack.  But, he notes they remain frightened and will not return until security improves.  Unfortunately, he says the internally displaced, who suffered the brunt of the attack, have to remain in the camp where the situation remains fragile.


Related articles


  1. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  2. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  3. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  4. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  5. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  6. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  7. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  8. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  9. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  10. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  11. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  12. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  13. U.S. Treasury Department Sanctions M23 Rebel Leader (November 13, 2012)
  14. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  15. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  16. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  17. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  18. Key excerpts from UN report on Rwandan army genocide in DR Congo (August 27, 2010)
  19. 54 FDLR Rebels Relocated from North Kivu to Katanga (May 4, 2010)
  20. DR Congo military says more FDLR rebels killed in North Kivu province (December 18, 2009)
  21. Senior UN peacekeeping official assesses DR Congo's prisons (July 22, 2009)
  22. Return of Hutu Militias Sparks 100,000 New Displacements in Eastern Congo (April 27, 2009)
  23. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)
  24. MONUC urges Rwandan Hutu militia to disarm and return home (February 2, 2009)
  25. Displaced people must not be forced back to their villages, UN tells DR Congo rebels (December 19, 2008)
  26. UNHCR urges DR Congo rebels to respect humanitarian principles (December 19, 2008)
  27. Laurent Nkunda's rebels reportedly pressuring displaced Congolese to return home - UN (December 16, 2008)
  28. UN Report Excerpt: Support to Laurent Nkunda's CNDP by the Government of Rwanda (December 14, 2008)
  29. Human Rights Watch: 150 people killed in Kiwanja as UN force stood by (December 11, 2008)
  30. UN envoy to launch dialogue between Government and rebels (December 5, 2008)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.