Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN Accuses DRC of Excessive Force in Quashing Protests

Previous article | Next
VOA News - July 28, 2007

A report Friday by the office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights accuses the Democratic Republic of Congo of using excessive force in putting down protests in the Bas-Congo province early this year. More than 100 people were reportedly killed during the clashes. Lisa Schlein reports for VOA from Geneva.

The report says the Congolese military and police used excessive and indiscriminate lethal force in putting down demonstrations in the Bas-Congo that erupted January 31 and February 1. An opposition-religious group, called the Bundu Dia Kongo, were protesting against senatorial and gubernatorial elections it claimed were fraudulent when the clashes occurred.

U.N. Human Rights spokesman Jose Dias says U.N. rights monitors and a U.N. mission in the country investigated the events and found that at least 105 people, including six police officers and four soldiers, were killed. He says another 100 people were injured. "The high death toll, as I said, points to excessive use of lethal force by the national security force. The report goes on to say that while both sides share responsibility for the violence, the security forces have enjoyed impunity so far. The high commissioner deplores also that the trials are being conducted before military tribunals while many of the accused are civilians," he said.

Dias says this is a clear violation of international human rights standards. He says the U.N. High Commissioner, Louise Arbour, is calling on the authorities to bring to justice all those who had committed crimes during those events and to ensure that the trial on appeal is heard by civilian courts.

The U.N. inquiry acknowledges that, in some cases, the security forces probably fired in legitimate defense. But, in general, it says it appears fairly clear that the National Congolese Police and Armed Forces used excessive force in firing real bullets on the protesters who were only armed with sticks and stones.

Spokesman Dias says the U.N. Human Rights Monitors maintained contact with the Congolese government throughout the investigation. "I think the response that we got was less than satisfactory from the authorities. It was not optimal cooperation in the investigation," he said.

A report by a Congolese parliamentary commission in May concluded that security forces had acted against, what it calls, an illegal group. It says the group attacked the forces and committed murder, arson, looting and rape. Opposition lawmakers and human rights campaigners call the report a whitewash.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  9. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  10. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  11. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  12. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  13. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  14. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  15. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  16. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  17. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  18. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  19. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  20. Tshisekedi Leaves 'House Arrest' to Meet German Ambassador (February 27, 2012)
  21. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  22. Tshisekedi's Call for General Strike Largely Ignored (January 31, 2012)
  23. Tshisekedi Says He Will Form His Government Next Week (January 21, 2012)
  24. Tshisekedi Stages Self-Inauguration at Home (December 23, 2011)
  25. Tshisekedi Says He Is President-Elect, Asks Security Forces to Arrest Kabila (December 18, 2011)
  26. Joseph Kabila Wins Presidential Election (December 9, 2011)
  27. Presidential Election Results Delayed 48 Hours (December 6, 2011)
  28. Catholic Church Calls for Calm as Elections Results Are Published (December 4, 2011)
  29. Vote Counting Underway after Mostly Peaceful Elections (November 29, 2011)
  30. Officials Cancel Final Campaign Rallies in Kinshasa after Clashes (November 26, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.