Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Seventeen Killed in Suspected Rwandan Rebel Attack in DRC

Previous article | Next
VOA News - May 28, 2007

At least 17 people have been clubbed or hacked to death by suspected Rwandan rebels in Democratic Republic of Congo's eastern province of South Kivu. Congo's United Nations peacekeeping mission said the violence appears to be a reprisal for recent army operations in the area. Joe Bavier is in the capital, Kinshasa, and has more for VOA.

Democratic Republic of Congo
Democratic Republic of Congo
The attacks, the worst in South Kivu in two years, took place late Saturday and early Sunday morning in three villages in Kanyola, an area some 50 kilometers west of the provincial capital Bukavu.

Local civil society coordinator, Constantin Chahrondagwa, told VOA, soon after returning from the scene of the attacks, that villagers had already begun burying the bodies of the 17 people killed in the violence.

All were murdered with machetes, axes, and clubs, he said. Among them were women and children.

Another 23 people were being treated for injuries, some serious, at local medical facilities. Chahrondagwa said 13 people had been kidnapped by the attackers, and there were fears that some of the hostages had been executed.

Soldiers and local people gather near a United Nations armoured vehicle in Kinshasa, Nov. 13, 2006
Soldiers and local people gather near a United Nations armoured vehicle in Kinshasa, Nov. 13, 2006
Congo's U.N. peacekeeping mission, known by its French acronym MONUC, said several letters had been left behind by what are believed to be members of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda, or FDLR, a Hutu-dominated Rwandan rebel group based in eastern Congo.

They say the attacks were a reprisal for recent MONUC-supported operations carried out by the Congolese army aimed at chasing the FDLR from the area.

The Congolese army has already deployed extra troops to the area in an attempt to track down the perpetrators of the violence, MONUC said. U.N. peacekeepers were on their way to the scene of the killings Monday morning.

Thousands of FDLR fighters have been operating in eastern Congo since Rwanda's 1994 genocide. Some are former Rwandan soldiers and Hutu Interhamwe militia members responsible for the killings of an estimated 800,000 Tutsis.

Despite the official end of a 1998 to 2003 war, Congo's eastern provinces regularly witness violence at the hands of local militia, foreign rebel groups, and its own armed forces.


Related articles


  1. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  5. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  6. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  7. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  8. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  9. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  10. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  11. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  12. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  13. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  14. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  15. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  16. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  17. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  18. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  19. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  20. Rwandan FDLR rebels 'kill 26 in DR Congo' (January 4, 2012)
  21. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  22. Campaigning in Eastern Congo, Kamerhe Vows To Restore State Authority (November 22, 2011)
  23. Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election (October 18, 2011)
  24. Rwandan Rebel Leader Faces ICC on War Crimes Charges (September 16, 2011)
  25. Controversy over "conflict minerals" law (August 2, 2011)
  26. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  27. UN envoy tells Security Council of improving security, remaining threats (June 9, 2011)
  28. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  29. Rwanda genocide fugitive Bernard Munyagishari arrested (May 25, 2011)
  30. UN Security Council discusses key challenges and risks in an election year in DR Congo (May 18, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.