Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
NGO suspends operations amid increased displacement in the east

Previous article | Next

Photo: Gratien Ira/IRIN
Numbers of internally displaced persons has increased in North and South Kivu provinces
KINSHASA, 28 June 2007 (IRIN) - Violence in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has forced non-governmental organisations to limit operations in some areas in North and South Kivu, officials said, even as more people are displaced.

On 25 June, armed men wearing military uniforms attacked two vehicles belonging to Solidarité Internationale in Kisharo in the Rutshuru territory of North Kivu. A vehicle was looted.

Kemal Saiki, spokesman for the UN Mission in Congo (MONUC), said the incident followed a similar one several days earlier in the same area. Attacks against humanitarian actors had also occurred in South Kivu where an NGO storehouse in Uvira was plundered on 20 June.

Regis Mathon, Solidarité's coordinator in eastern DRC, said the recent attack had forced the agency to stop some operations. "We have suspended our activities in Rutshuru territory after this attack," he said, adding that the NGO would, however, remain in other areas of the east. "Our vehicle was attacked by armed men who are hard to identify," he added.

The agency "suspended activities in the area controlled by the troops of dissident [Congolese army] General Laurent Nkunda as security conditions deteriorated", Saiki said on 27 June.

Similar attacks had displaced more civilians in Kiwandja, Nyamilima, Ishasha and Kisharo, all in North Kivu, where 42,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) had gathered since February.


Photo: OCHA
Map of South Kivu
In South Kivu, increased tension due to army operations against fighters of the Forces démocratiques pour la libération du Rwanda (FDLR) and a Congolese militia known as the Rastas had caused more displacement in June.

Saiki said a joint evaluation mission by MONUC and humanitarian actors toured Kisharo, Nyamilima and Ishasha areas last week and noted that almost daily attacks were being committed against civilians, either by the FDLR or by soldiers from the mixed brigades.

In some parts of the two provinces, mixed brigades exist alongside troops loyal to Nkunda, who have not been integrated into the Congolese army. There are also integrated troops and fighters from armed groups, usually foreigners, such as the Rwandan FDLR.

"MONUC deplores these incidents, which are occurring while response mechanisms are being explored between MONUC and the concerned actors," Saiki said.

MONUC, he added, was also concerned about the political manoeuvres of Nkunda's Congrès National pour la Défense du Peuple (CNDP), because it was pushing civilian authorities to close IDP camps in Kichanga, Mweso in Masisi territory and Nyanzale, Rutshuru territory.

The CNDP was also imposing taxes on the populations and putting in place its own administration. As a result, about 5,000 families displaced from Kisharu, representing an estimated 25,000 people, remain without assistance because of the high risk to aid workers of attacks by armed groups in the area.


Photo: OCHA
Map of North Kivu
Another 2,299 families - 11,495 people - had arrived in Kisharu, Saiki said.

Nkunda, initially a commander in the former rebel movement, Rassemblement Congolais pour la Démocratie (RCD), was integrated into the regular Congolese army but declined to take up his position and continues to stage attacks in the east.

Related stories

ei/re/eo/mw


Theme(s): (IRIN) Conflict, (IRIN) Refugees/IDPs

[ENDS]

Related articles


  1. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  5. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  6. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  8. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  9. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  10. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  11. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  13. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  14. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  15. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  16. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  17. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  18. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  19. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  20. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  21. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  22. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  23. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  24. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  25. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  26. U.S. Treasury Department Sanctions M23 Rebel Leader (November 13, 2012)
  27. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  28. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  29. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  30. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.