Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
MONUC troops among the worst sex offenders

Previous article | Next
Monuc - August 30, 2006 11:59 PM

Click here to enlarge image

MONUC troops in DRC

KINSHASA, 28 Aug 2006 (IRIN) - The United Nations has conducted more investigations into sexual exploitation and abuse by its peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) than in any other country, according to figures recently released by the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations.

Out of a total of 313 investigations of civilian and military staff since the beginning of 2004, 202 have been carried out in the DRC, UN News said on Friday. The UN's peacekeeping operation in the DRC is the largest worldwide, with about 17,000 personnel.

The latest investigation, announced on 17 August, is into a suspected child prostitution ring in Congo's South Kivu Province involving UN peacekeepers and government soldiers.

"A MONUC team of inquiry is currently there," a UN official in Kinshasa said on Monday. "There is a separate UN team from New York."

He said the teams were only looking into the behaviour of MONUC's civilian and military personnel. "There are things that troops in the national army have done that are not being investigated by the UN but by the Congolese authorities," he said.

NGOs had reported testimony of the sex ring by girls in the area. However, in a statement on 17 August, MONUC said, "The majority of their patrons are Congolese soldiers and civilians."

The UN official said the inquiry from New York had already found that many of the allegations against UN personnel were unfounded.

Most of the investigations the UN has launched worldwide since 2004 have been into the misconduct of military personnel. "At least 206 individuals in that category faced probes, with 144 people, including seven commanders, repatriated or rotated on disciplinary grounds," UN News reported.

However, investigations were also held into misconduct by 84 civilian personnel, leading to the dismissal of 10 staff members and seven UN volunteers.

"The work period of one contractor was not extended," UN News said. "Some 17 police officers were also repatriated after the completion of inquiries against 23 people."

In total, 109 peacekeeping personnel were either cleared of all charges or the allegations against them could not be substantiated.

"We are now under curfew," the UN official in Kinshasa said. "We cannot sleep with prostitutes or with minors [under 18 years old]. If we did we would be temporarily suspended from duty, sometimes without pay."

UN military personnel suspected of abuses are sent home to face their own national military courts, he said.

ei/dh/mw/oss


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  9. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  10. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  11. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  12. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  13. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  14. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  15. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  16. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  17. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  18. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  19. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  20. Tshisekedi Leaves 'House Arrest' to Meet German Ambassador (February 27, 2012)
  21. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  22. Tshisekedi's Call for General Strike Largely Ignored (January 31, 2012)
  23. Tshisekedi Says He Will Form His Government Next Week (January 21, 2012)
  24. Tshisekedi Stages Self-Inauguration at Home (December 23, 2011)
  25. Tshisekedi Says He Is President-Elect, Asks Security Forces to Arrest Kabila (December 18, 2011)
  26. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  27. Joseph Kabila Wins Presidential Election (December 9, 2011)
  28. Presidential Election Results Delayed 48 Hours (December 6, 2011)
  29. Catholic Church Calls for Calm as Elections Results Are Published (December 4, 2011)
  30. Vote Counting Underway after Mostly Peaceful Elections (November 29, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.