Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN chief demands justice in name of child soldiers and victims of sexual abuse

Previous article | Next
Xinhua - April 30, 2009
Ban Ki-moon

The recruitment and sexual exploitation of children by armed groups in conflict zones is a threat to international peace and security, and violators must be brought to justice, UN Secretary-general Ban Ki-moon told an open Security Council debate here on Wednesday.

 "Fighting shatters more than infrastructure; it destroys the precious principles enshrined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child," he said. "I urge the Council to consider action to strike a blow against impunity, and stop these violators from continuing to victimize children."

"We must send a strong signal to the world that those committing appalling crimes against children in conflict situations will be brought to justice," he added.

The secretary-general's report, which was presented to the Security Council, identifies 56 parties to conflicts in 20 countries that recruit children in violation of international law.

In the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), for example, the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) has expanded its operations across various borders in the region and has abducted 300 children since November 2008.

In Afghanistan, the Taliban has reportedly approached children living in the southern border areas and offered them money to carry out activities on behalf of armed groups. A study conducted by the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) also documented cases of children being used by the Taliban to carry out suicide attacks.

The report also documents an increase in attacks near education facilities. From September 2007 to September 2008, 321 cases were recorded, compared to 133 cases reported over the same period last year, said the report.

Ban urged the Security Council to "ensure that schools are always protected" and "to keep schools running in times of crisis and to safeguard the right of education."

Speaking to the Security Council, UN Special Representative of the Secretary-general for Children and Armed Conflict Radhika Coomaraswamy said identifying violators on a "list of shame" has been an effective step to deterring violators from recruiting child soldiers.

"Armed actor after armed actor have told me that they are determined to be removed from the secretary-general's annexes," she said. "In this sense, the power of the Council can and has made a tangible difference in protecting children from being recruited and used by armed forces and groups."

In a sign of progress, the report notes that more than 1,200 children have been released by armed groups in North Kivu, DRC, since the start of 2009, and 342 children in Burundi.

This year's report goes one step further than previous reports in that it calls to expand the mandate of the Security Council's monitoring mechanism by extending its focus to other violations that include child rape and the killing and maiming of children.

Not to expand the Security Council's protection framework "threatens to silence the suffering of thousands of children who are subjected to unspeakable crimes," Coomaraswamy said.

At the end of an eight-day fact-finding visit to DRC last week, Coomaraswamy said that 48 percent of victims of sexual abuse in the DRC are minors, and that 67 percent of those responsible are men in uniform.

The secretary-general's report documents a number of sexual violations against girls. In the Central African Republic (CAR), for example, 15 girls, mostly under the age of 15, were abducted and used as sexual slaves by the LRA.

In March 2008, five of the 15 girls released by the Union des Forces Democratiques pour le Rassemblement (UFDR) in the CAR reported that they were either raped or gang raped. All the girls were between the ages of 11 and 17 at the time of release.

Ban said he has never been "so outraged" as when he spoke with girls who had been sexually victimized. "Painful as it is to describe these atrocities, silence serves only to shield the perpetrators and perpetuate their crimes."

"The testimony of the victims ... made me more determined than ever to raise my voice to decry their suffering and demand action," he added.


Related articles


  1. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  2. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  3. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  4. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  5. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  6. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  7. U.S. sending more personnel to Uganda to hunt LRA leader Joseph Kony (March 24, 2014)
  8. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  9. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  10. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  11. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  12. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  13. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  14. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  15. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  16. UN Security Council approves intervention force to target armed groups in DR Congo (March 28, 2013)
  17. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  18. Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo (December 19, 2012)
  19. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  20. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  21. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  22. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  23. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  24. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  25. Gunmen attack anti-rape doctor Denis Mukwege (October 26, 2012)
  26. UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels (October 19, 2012)
  27. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  28. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  29. Thomas Lubanga sentenced to 14 years (July 10, 2012)
  30. U.S. and U.K. Must Tell Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo, Global Witness Says (June 29, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.