Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
News | Sexual Violence


ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens

VOA News - November 12, 2014

Jean-Pierre BembaThe four-year-long trial of former Congolese Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba is finally wrapping up in The Hague. But the story is not over. ICC judges want another trial, this time targeting both Bemba and his legal team for allegedly tampering with justice.
Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014

European Parliament - October 21, 2014

Denis MukwegeDenis Mukwege is the laureate of the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought 2014. The 59-year-old gynaecologist founded the Panzi Hospital in Bukavu in 1998, when a war took place in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where today he still treats victims of sexual violence who have sustained serious injuries.
Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals

UN News Centre - May 26, 2014

Congolese families deported from Brazzaville arrive in KinshasaSenior United Nations officials today demanded that Republic of the Congo immediately stop expelling citizens from the neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo, and called for an investigation into allegations of sexual violence and other human rights violations.
Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo

Congo News Agency - December 19, 2012

U.S. President Barack Obama on the phone in the White House Oval Office in 2010U.S. President Barack Obama told Rwandan President Paul Kagame on Tuesday to stop all support for the M23 rebels wreaking havoc in eastern Congo. During a phone call, Mr. Obama warned Mr. Kagame that “any support to the rebel group M23 is inconsistent with Rwanda’s desire for stability and peace.”
U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders

U.S. Department of the Treasury - December 18, 2012

Colonel Sultani Makenga, center, a senior M23 leader, on a hill in eastern Congo, July 2012Baudoin Ngaruye and Innocent Kaina are being designated for their involvement in the recruitment and use of child soldiers in the conflict in the DRC and for being leaders of a group that is impeding the disarmament, repatriation, or resettlement of combatants.
Gunmen attack anti-rape doctor Denis Mukwege

BBC News - October 26, 2012

Doctor Denis MukwegeUnknown gunmen have tried to kill a Congolese doctor widely praised for his work helping rape victims, he has told the BBC. When asked whether he had been targeted because of his work, Denis Mukwege noted that the attackers had not asked for any money.
UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels

UN News Centre - October 19, 2012

Amb. Gert Rosenthal of Guatemala presides over the Security Council meeting on the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)“The Security Council calls upon all countries in the region to condemn the M23, as well as other armed groups, and to cooperate actively with the Congolese authorities in disarming and demobilizing the M23 as well as other armed groups and dismantling the M23 parallel administration,” said in a presidential statement.
Thomas Lubanga sentenced to 14 years

ICC - July 10, 2012

ICC finds Thomas Lubanga guilty of using child soldiersTrial Chamber I of the International Criminal Court has sentenced Thomas Lubanga to 14 years of imprisonment. He had been convicted of the crimes of conscripting and enlisting children under the age of 15 and using them to participate actively in hostilities. Having spent six years in jail, he may be released in eight years or even sooner with good behavior.
Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch

Human Rights Watch - June 4, 2012

Bosco NtagandaRwandan military officials have been arming and supporting the mutiny in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo of Gen. Bosco Ntaganda, who is wanted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court. Rwandan military officials have allowed Ntaganda to enter Rwanda and supplied him with new recruits, weapons, and ammunition.
Rwandan FDLR rebels 'kill 26 in DR Congo'

BBC News - January 4, 2012

FDLR rebels in South KivuAt least 26 people have been killed in attacks by a Rwandan militia group in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the Congolese army says. It says several remote villages in South Kivu province have been targeted since the start of January.







Examples: Kabila | Tshisekedi | Kinshasa | Mazembe


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.