Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Facing shortfall, Ban appeals for more peacekeepers for DR Congo

Previous article | Next
UN News - February 3, 2009
Ban Ki-moon

Member States have so far failed to provide nearly enough troops to reinforce the United Nations mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) since the Security Council called in November for 3,000 additional peacekeepers in the face of mounting violence in the east of the vast country.

Voicing regret at the results in a letter to the Council's President, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon renewed his appeal to troop- and police-contributing countries to come forward with essential offers.

He noted that of the 49 troop-contributing countries and 12 potential troop contributors approached, until now only Bangladesh has come forward with one infantry battalion, one engineer company and one formed police unit.

Belgium has also offered a C-130 aircraft, while five other Member States will send the required intelligence experts for the UN mission, known by its French acronym MONUC. There are also several indications of offers by other Member States, Mr. Ban said.

Ambassador Yukio Takasu of Japan, which holds the Council's presidency for February, noted that the reinforcement of additional UN forces has not been satisfactory. ?The Council needs to help the Secretariat to expedite the full deployment that has been authorized,? he told a news conference in New York.

The extra 2,785 troops and 300 police officers that the Council requested are to buttress the more than 17,000 uniformed personnel already in the DRC, the largest UN force currently deployed worldwide but one faced with the task of quelling unrest and protecting civilians in one of Africa's largest countries.

Eastern DRC has been the scene of fierce fighting in recent months between the Congolese army and various rebel militia groups that has displaced some 250,000 civilians since August, on top of 800,000 uprooted in earlier outbreaks of violence.

The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) reported today that it had helped secure the release of 85 children aged between 7 and 17, including five girls, who had been recruited by the Mayi Mayi ethnic militias in the east. The agency is now attempting to find their families, spokesperson Veronique Taveau told a news briefing in Geneva.

It is estimated that there were still some 2,000 child soldiers with armed militias in North Kivu province, she said.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  9. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  10. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  11. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  12. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  13. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  14. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  15. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  16. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  17. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  18. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  19. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  20. Tshisekedi Leaves 'House Arrest' to Meet German Ambassador (February 27, 2012)
  21. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  22. Tshisekedi's Call for General Strike Largely Ignored (January 31, 2012)
  23. Tshisekedi Says He Will Form His Government Next Week (January 21, 2012)
  24. Tshisekedi Stages Self-Inauguration at Home (December 23, 2011)
  25. Tshisekedi Says He Is President-Elect, Asks Security Forces to Arrest Kabila (December 18, 2011)
  26. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  27. Joseph Kabila Wins Presidential Election (December 9, 2011)
  28. Presidential Election Results Delayed 48 Hours (December 6, 2011)
  29. Catholic Church Calls for Calm as Elections Results Are Published (December 4, 2011)
  30. Vote Counting Underway after Mostly Peaceful Elections (November 29, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.