Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN 'lied' in report on Bas-Congo killings - govt

Previous article | Next


KINSHASA, 18 June 2008 (IRIN) - The government of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has dismissed as "mendacious" a UN report that accused police of killing 100 civilians in Bas-Congo province.

On 13 June, the UN mission in DRC, MONUC, released a report following an investigation into the actions of a contingent of Kinshasa-based police against members of the Bundu dia Kongo sect in several areas of Bas-Congo. The report said at least 100 people, most of them sect members, had been killed on 28 February.

"It is a mendacious report," government spokesman Emile Bongeli told IRIN on 17 June.

"While we congratulate MONUC for taking the trouble to shed light on the situation in Congo, we sadly deplore the overly partial, overly tendentious nature of this report and the casualness of its authors who relied on conditional premises to arrive at conclusions that could seriously undermine the credibility the DRC is painfully and very patiently trying to restore," he added.

"According to government figures, there were 27 gunshot fatalities and these are identified individuals, unlike the 100 imaginary people whom MONUC cannot identify," added Bongeli.

"They made their report as if they simply wanted to condemn the government. They made no mention of the troubles sown by this sect, which they placed on the same footing as the loyal forces," he added, in reference to the police.

When contacted, MONUC declined to comment on the government's reaction.

The killings in Bas-Congo came in the wake of skirmishes between police and
Bundu dia Kongo members. The sect contests the results of a general election held in 2006, and its members have occasionally lowered the national flag on public buildings and replaced it with their own. The sect has set up its own courts and meted out corporal punishment on those convicted.

The MONUC report also held the police responsible for the destruction of more than 200 buildings, including the houses of sect members, and also those of people who had no affiliation with the group.

It also said that more than 150 sect members had been arrested and many of them tortured or subjected to cruel and degrading treatment.

Many sect members have been tried and convicted. Four received death sentences while others were given jail terms ranging from two months to 20 years.

The MONUC report recommended that the judicial authorities in DRC open their own investigation into the events in Bas-Congo and that those guilty of serious abuses be brought to trial.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  9. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  10. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  11. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  12. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  13. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  14. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  15. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  16. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  17. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  18. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  19. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  20. Tshisekedi Leaves 'House Arrest' to Meet German Ambassador (February 27, 2012)
  21. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  22. Tshisekedi's Call for General Strike Largely Ignored (January 31, 2012)
  23. Tshisekedi Says He Will Form His Government Next Week (January 21, 2012)
  24. Tshisekedi Stages Self-Inauguration at Home (December 23, 2011)
  25. Tshisekedi Says He Is President-Elect, Asks Security Forces to Arrest Kabila (December 18, 2011)
  26. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  27. Joseph Kabila Wins Presidential Election (December 9, 2011)
  28. Presidential Election Results Delayed 48 Hours (December 6, 2011)
  29. Catholic Church Calls for Calm as Elections Results Are Published (December 4, 2011)
  30. Vote Counting Underway after Mostly Peaceful Elections (November 29, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.