Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Tens of thousands of IDPs on the move again in North Kivu

Previous article | Next


Photo: Noel E. King/IRIN
A displaced family outside their hut in Mugunga camp. Thousands of IDPs are fleeing renewed fighting in the area
GOMA, 13 November 2007 (IRIN) - Up to 40,000 people poured out of two camps for displaced civilians near the main town in Democratic Republic of Congo's North Kivu province after fierce fighting broke out nearby, according to the UN. 

"Shooting, some from heavy weapons, could be heard this [13 November] morning near the camps. Between 30,000 and 40,000 people who were living there are on the road to Goma," said Louis Igneault, spokesman for the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

The camps, where a total of 57,000 people were housed, are located at Mugunga, 15km southwest of Goma. The road between the camps and Goma was thronged with people carrying little more than the clothes on their backs. Young children reported being separated from their parents in the confusion and many of the displaced expressed concern over where they would stay if fighting resumed.

Even when the fighting subsided, "few people tried to return [to the camps]. They prefer to stay in Goma," said Igneault. He added that most of the plastic sheeting covering dwellings in the camps had disappeared, either taken by those who lived there or by looters who came into the camps after the exodus.

"This morning I heard shooting and realised the rebels were coming," said Zawag Karafuru, who carried her young son on her back. "I ran from the camp."

The DRC government accused dissident general Laurent Nkunda of mounting an early-morning attack on an army post near the camps but a spokesman for Nkunda denied the accusation.

"They are wrong," said Bwambale Kakolele, who blamed the attack on Rwandan Hutu rebels known as the Forces Démocratiques de la Liberation du Rwanda (FDLR).
 
The UN mission in DRC, MONUC, said government forces repelled the attack on the village of Kishangazi, mounted between five and nine in the morning.

"We think it could have been insurgents close to Nkunda who attacked but we cannot rule out the FDLR," said MONUC spokesman Colonel Pierre Cherayron.

On 9 November, the DRC government pledged to disarm the FDLR, by force if necessary, in a deal with Rwanda that reaffirmed several previous deals aimed at restoring peace to eastern DRC.

The Mugunga exodus sparked fears of a deepening humanitarian crisis that has seen an estimated 370,000 people displaced since fighting erupted between Nkunda loyalists and the DRC army late last year.

"Displaced people are getting re-displaced, fleeing for their lives," said Aya Shneerson, the head of the UN's World Food Programme in North and South Kivu provinces.    

"As it is, living in an IDP camp is extremely difficult," Shneerson said. "Having these people out here without proper water, without proper shelter, without proper food, is really hard for them."
   
In January, Nkunda pulled out of arrangements to have his followers integrated into the national army, saying government forces were not doing enough to disarm the FDLR.
  
nk-ei/am/mw


Related articles


  1. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  5. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  6. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  7. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  8. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  9. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  10. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  11. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  12. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  13. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  14. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  15. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  16. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  17. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  18. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  19. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  20. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  21. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  22. Rwandan FDLR rebels 'kill 26 in DR Congo' (January 4, 2012)
  23. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  24. Campaigning in Eastern Congo, Kamerhe Vows To Restore State Authority (November 22, 2011)
  25. Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election (October 18, 2011)
  26. Rwandan Rebel Leader Faces ICC on War Crimes Charges (September 16, 2011)
  27. Controversy over "conflict minerals" law (August 2, 2011)
  28. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  29. UN envoy tells Security Council of improving security, remaining threats (June 9, 2011)
  30. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.