Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN peacekeepers caught up in continuing unrest in North Kivu

Previous article | Next
7:07 PM


Photo: IRIN
MONUC peacekeepers in DRC
KINSHASA, 23 August 2007 (IRIN) - Instability in the Rusthuru region of North Kivu, which included an attack on UN peacekeepers, caused the temporary displacement of more than 10,000 people, officials said.

UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC) military spokesman Major Gabriel De Brosses said trouble flared up when the North Kivu brigades were pelted by rocks during an incident in Bunagana village on 20 August.

"These people, some of whom were armed, wanted to stop the blue helmets from getting into the village," he said.

The peacekeepers, he said, had been trying to gather information on the assault of two Congolese intelligence agents (of the Agence nationale des renseignements) the weekend before.

They returned to the village the next day with national police and were attacked again.
He said three Indian peacekeepers and an officer from the Congolese police were wounded during the fighting.

Local residents said the incident, in which the UN fired into the air, involved militias organised by General Nkunda.

Nkunda, a former general in the Congolese Army, led a revolt in 2004 claiming to be protecting the minority Banyamulenge Tutsi population from attacks carried out by the rest of the population. His forces have continued to attack government positions in North Kivu.

Despite joint counter attacks by the Congolese Army and UN peacekeepers that have frequently forced Nkunda's forces to withdraw, sporadic clashes have led to displacement within the DRC and into Uganda.

Three days before the Rusthuru attacks, police and Congolese army ammunition reserves were looted in the village of Nyakakoma, about 30km from Bunagana.

"Around 50 individuals wearing civilian clothes stole approximately 20 AK-47s," said De Brosses.

Meanwhile, 57 soldiers who were former members of Nkunda's rebel group have deserted the regular army, said De Brosses.

Other recent attacks on relief agencies include the armed robbery of a vehicle from the Norwegian NGO Refugee Council (NRC) at a military roadblock in Kalengera village, 10km from the centre of Rutshuru.

The UN Refugee Agency said more than 10,000 Congolese crossed over to Uganda's southwestern district of Kisoro seeking refugee on 21 August as instability in the region escalated.

"A joint team from the office of the [Ugandan] prime minister, the World Food Programme and UNHCR left Mbarara [in southwest Uganda] on 22 August to verify the reports," Robertta Russo, the UNHCR spokeswoman in Kampala said.

Local leaders in the area and news reports said many of the Congolese had already returned to the DRC.

ei/re/sr


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  9. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  10. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  11. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  12. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  13. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  14. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  15. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  17. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  18. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  19. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  20. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  21. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  22. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  23. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  24. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  25. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  26. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  27. U.S. Treasury Department Sanctions M23 Rebel Leader (November 13, 2012)
  28. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  29. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  30. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.