Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Continued attacks in North Kivu leave 37,000 IDPs without aid

Previous article | Next

KINSHASA, 3 Feb 2006 (IRIN) - At least 37,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) are without humanitarian relief because of continued attacks by military insurgents in North Kivu Province in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), officials said.

"There seems to be a relative cessation of hostilities, but tensions are so high in the area that it is very difficult for us to access these populations for intervention," said Ibrahima Diarra, the head of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in the North Kivu town of Beni, on Thursday.

Attacks by military insurgents on loyalist Congolese army troops have been ongoing in the province since 17 January. The latest wave of attacks - on 28 and 29 January in Rutshuru territory, to the east of the province - displaced about 2,200 civilians.

According to OCHA, the 2,220 IDPS are in the main centre of Goma, the provincial capital, while the remaining 35,000 are in localities further north such as Kanyabayonga, Kahina, Kirumba and Lubero.

"In Goma, 50 percent of the displaced who arrived on Tuesday are being hosted by local villagers, 25 percent took shelter in a church, and the remaining 25 percent are in a transit site where World Vision and UNICEF [UN Children's Fund] have intervened, mainly with the supply of drinking water," said Patrick Lavand'homme, head of OCHA in Goma, on Thursday.

He said humanitarian partners had evaluated the food and non-food needs for the IDPs in Goma.

Diarra said a UN interagency mission scheduled for 23-25 January to prepare for a full-scale humanitarian intervention in the area had been cancelled due to renewed attacks by insurgents belonging to the 5th Brigade of the Congolese army.

According to OCHA, some of the IDPs had started returning to Rutshuru during two days of calm preceding the attacks, but renewed fighting had pushed them back.

Loyalist elements of the 5th Brigade responded to the attacks with the help of helicopters from the UN Mission in the DRC (MONUC) and drove out the insurgents from the villages they had captured in Rutshuru.

However, another group of insurgents - said to be close to renegade Congolese general Laurent Nkunda, against whom an international arrest warrant has been issued - launched a new attack in the Rwindi territory near Rutshuru and Kirumba this week, creating panic and preventing the return of the IDPs.

A recent visit by Congolese Defence Minister Adolphe Onusumba to the province had not led to a resolution of the problem between the insurgents and the loyalist Congolese troops.

Haile Menkerios, the deputy Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General, has also visited North Kivu in the recent past and held talks with the local authorities, community leaders, civil society representatives and religious leaders.

MONUC reported that during these discussions there were indications that the cause of the attacks lay in the difficulties integrating former rival rebel movements into the Congolese army and a lack of trust between the various communities of North Kivu.

Civil war in DRC was officially declared to have ended in 2003, and the transitional government has been integrating members of former rival rebel movements into the national army. However, fighting - mostly by militias and lately by military insurgents - has continued in eastern Congo, primarily in the Kivus and the northeastern province of Orientale.

Meanwhile, the international NGO Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called upon the Congolese government and MONUC to arrest Nkunda, the leader of the insurgents.

"An arrest warrant was issued against Nkunda for war crimes, crimes against humanity and insurrection months ago, but the police and army have done nothing about arresting him," said Alison Des Forges, senior adviser to HRW's Africa division. "So long as Nkunda is at large, the civilian population remains at grave risk."


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  9. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  10. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  11. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  12. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  13. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  14. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  15. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  17. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  18. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  19. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  20. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  21. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  22. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  24. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  25. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  26. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  27. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  28. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  29. DR Congo Will Not Negotiate With M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 19, 2012)
  30. U.S. Treasury Department Sanctions M23 Rebel Leader (November 13, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.