Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
DR Congo must punish those responsible for fatal attacks on UN, Security Council says

Previous article | Next
UN News Service - January 25, 2006

The Security Council today called on the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to take immediate steps to bring to justice those responsible for Monday?s attack on United Nations peacekeepers, which left eight of them dead and five wounded.

The attack on a Guatemalan detachment of the UN Organization Mission in the DRC (MONUC), which was involved in an operation against the Ugandan rebel Lord?s Resistance Army (LRA) reported to be in Garamba National Park, was an ?unacceptable outrage,? the Council said in a statement read by Ambassador Augustine Mahiga of Tanzania, who holds the body?s rotating presidency this month.

?The LRA have conducted a long-running and vicious insurgency in northern Uganda which has caused the death, abduction and displacement of thousands of innocent civilians in Uganda, Sudan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Council calls upon the Government of National Unity and Transition immediately to take all necessary measures to bring to justice those responsible for this attack,? he said.

It also urged States in the region to deepen their cooperation so as to end the activities of illegal armed groups, reaffirming that any threat or use of force against a country?s territorial integrity was contrary to the UN Charter.

Offering its condolences to the victims? families and to the Guatemalan authorities, the Council commended ?the dedication of MONUC?s personnel, who operate in particularly hazardous conditions.?

With regard to another development, the Council condemned with the utmost firmness the recent seizure by insurgents of villages in the Rutshuru area, North Kivu province. In that context, it expressed its concern at reported atrocities and human rights abuses as constituting a serious threat to both the peace process and the transition and it demanded that they cease immediately.

Meanwhile, the Special Representative of the Secretary General, MONUC chief William Swing, and Lt. Gen. Babacar Gaye, Force Commander of MONUC's 17,000-strong force, went to northeastern Ituri district to visit and offer their condolences to the five injured Guatemalan soldiers, who have been hospitalized in Bunia.

MONUC?s 105-member Guatemalan Special Forces unit arrived last year and has been based in Kisangani. Mr. Swing and General Gaye later went to the unit?s Kisangani headquarters to applaud its contribution to DRC's peace process.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  5. U.S. sending more personnel to Uganda to hunt LRA leader Joseph Kony (March 24, 2014)
  6. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  8. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  9. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  10. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  11. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  13. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  14. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  15. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  16. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  17. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  18. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  19. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  20. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  21. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  22. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  23. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  24. U.S. Treasury Department Sanctions M23 Rebel Leader (November 13, 2012)
  25. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  26. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  27. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  28. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  29. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  30. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.