Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Congolese "brutally deported" from Angola

Previous article | Next
Bas-Congo province map

Thousands of Congolese citizens are being deported from Angola to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) under alarming circumstances, say humanitarian workers.

"The deportees have nothing with them, everything was taken; there are cases of violence, rape and sexual abuse," said Severine Flores, spokeswoman for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Many of the deportees travelled to the DRC town of Boma, in Bas-Congo province.

"For the moment, most of the deportees are being accommodated by other families and are spread out in the town," said Flores, adding that reliable statistics of their numbers were not available. However, she added that according to local NGOs, almost 18,000 people had been deported since July. Thousands of Congolese in Angola are deported every year.

According to the UN-run Radio Okapi, close to 25,000 other Congolese had fled mistreatment in Angola since the start of the year. The Congolese Minister for Social Affairs said an official mission has been set up to investigate.

Congolese citizens who had been living in the Angolan town of Soyo and in the Cabinda enclave were among those deported. Some 5,000 reportedly crossed the border last weekend. "They were chased by all kinds of security forces: soldiers, police, even immigration officers, who took away everything the Congolese were carrying," Jean-Pierre Larandja, an Angolan in Cabinda, told IRIN by telephone.

"Things are bad," one of the deportees told Radio Okapi. "They are attacking us Congolese. Some people are seriously wounded; people have been killed by machete, with guns. As soon as they see you have a bundle on your head they hit you.

"As I talk to you now, my foot is injured. All the Congolese who live there want to leave," he said, adding that ordinary Angolans, as well as security forces, had joined in the attacks, "breaking into our homes, making off with our goods and beating us".

In reaction, DRC government spokesman Lambert Mende said the Congolese immigration service had in the past week begun to deport Angolans from DRC.

"We cannot accept that the Congolese are deported without dignity even if they are living there illegally. They are thoroughly searched, sometimes even [strip-searched]. Some people have had their stomach pumped," said Mende. Many Congolese work in diamond mines in Angola.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  9. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  10. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  11. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  12. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  13. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  14. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  15. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  16. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  17. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  18. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  19. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  20. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  21. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  22. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  23. Tshisekedi Leaves 'House Arrest' to Meet German Ambassador (February 27, 2012)
  24. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  25. Tshisekedi's Call for General Strike Largely Ignored (January 31, 2012)
  26. Tshisekedi Says He Will Form His Government Next Week (January 21, 2012)
  27. Tshisekedi Stages Self-Inauguration at Home (December 23, 2011)
  28. Tshisekedi Says He Is President-Elect, Asks Security Forces to Arrest Kabila (December 18, 2011)
  29. Joseph Kabila Wins Presidential Election (December 9, 2011)
  30. Presidential Election Results Delayed 48 Hours (December 6, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.