Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN team looking into alleged sexual misconduct by blue helmets in DR Congo

Previous article | Next
UN News - July 24, 2009
MONUC peacekeepers in Congo

A fact-finding team has been dispatched by the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to investigate rumours of sexual misconduct surrounding some blue helmets stationed in the country’s far east.

General Babacar Gaye, Force Commander of the mission, known as MONUC, voiced hope that the investigation will shed light on persistent allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse leveled against peacekeepers.

While cases of sexual exploitation had been investigated by the military police last year, he said he is concerned that other cases might have gone undetected, especially in more remote locations.

“A very small number of peacekeepers have abused the trust of the Congolese people in the past, and the overwhelming majority who serve with honour in this Mission resent the damage that a few individuals can do to the credibility of peacekeeping,” said Alan Doss, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative.

He also underscored the UN’s “zero tolerance” for “any behaviour that disrespects women and girls and the communities in which they live.”

The fact-finding mission will visit operating bases of MONUC, which is one of the UN’s largest peacekeeping operations with over 19,000 personnel, and camps housing tens of thousands of internally displaced persons (IDPs).

It is expected to report its findings by the end of this month, with any evidence brought to light to be formally investigated by the world body’s investigative arm.

Earlier this year, a report found that the number of misconduct allegations against MONUC forces is on the decline.

Allegations are categorized according to their severity, with Category I offences including behaviour such as sexual exploitation and abuse, serious fraud and abuse of authority, while Category II offences pertain to personnel matters, contract disputes, misuse of equipment and small theft, among others.

According to the report, Category I allegations dropped from 66 in 2007 to 56 last year, and within these instances, the number of sexual abuse and exploitation allegations fell from 48 in 2007 to 38 in 2008.

The number of Category II allegations is also on the wane, with 202 allegations received last year, as opposed to 294 the year before. In 2008, 15 of the allegations pertaining to reported sexual abuse and exploitation mainly involved breaches of curfew. MONUC peacekeepers are prohibited from visiting bars frequented by prostitutes or areas that are off-limits for security reasons.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  9. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  10. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  11. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  12. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  13. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  14. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  15. Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo (December 19, 2012)
  16. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  17. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  18. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  19. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  20. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  21. Gunmen attack anti-rape doctor Denis Mukwege (October 26, 2012)
  22. UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels (October 19, 2012)
  23. Thomas Lubanga sentenced to 14 years (July 10, 2012)
  24. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  25. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  26. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  27. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  28. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  29. Tshisekedi Leaves 'House Arrest' to Meet German Ambassador (February 27, 2012)
  30. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.