Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Top UN humanitarian official condemns new 'terror and upheaval'

Previous article | Next
UN News - April 30, 2009
Eastern Congo refugees

The top United Nations humanitarian official today condemned a resurgence of violence against civilians in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), amid a serious of offensives against a Rwandan militia group.

“People who have repeatedly been victims of violence in this region are yet again experiencing terror and upheaval,” John Holmes, Under Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, said.

Attacks and threats against civilians, in South Kivu province committed by the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), comes in response to a planned new phase of Congolese army operations against the militia, he said.

An estimated 100,000 people in South Kivu have been displaced by fear of armed groups since the beginning of the year, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

“In the event of intensified fighting between Government forces and armed groups in the weeks ahead, all armed actors in South Kivu must have as a top priority protection of civilians and their livelihoods,” he stressed, adding that they must also guarantee safe access for humanitarian workers.

The FDLR and other Rwandan militias have also been a key factor in the resurgence of violence in North Kivu province, where another 100,000 civilians have been uprooted by fighting in the past two months, in addition to the many hundreds of thousands previously displaced.

The ethnic Hutu rebels, who recently carried out a wave of retaliatory attacks against civilians after being targeted by a joint Congolese and Rwandan military offensive, have been operating in eastern DRC since the 1994 genocide of Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda.

In FDLR-dominated areas of South Kivu, in recent weeks, more than a dozen villages have been pillaged and hundreds of houses set on fire, while in others, FDLR groups are forcing the population to provide them with food, OCHA said.

Rape has also been on the increase in recent weeks – in areas under the control both of the FDLR and of the Congolese army (FARDC). “Women and girls are at the mercy of groups with horrendous records of sexual violence,” OCHA said in a news release.

“Those committing violations of humanitarian law will have to answer for their crimes,” Mr. Holmes said, urging the Congolese Government to stop and punish abuses committed by its soldiers, and ensure the protection of civilians during these operations.

Meanwhile, Alan Doss, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s Special Representative for DRC, has welcomed last week’s conviction and sentencing of 20 Congolese army officers by a military tribunal.

The tribunal found that the 20 soldiers committed offences ranging from rape and armed robbery to crimes against humanity, according to the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC (MONUC), which is led by Mr. Doss.

Human rights experts from the mission monitored the trials, which took place in the north-eastern town of Walikale, to ensure they met international standards, and provided logistical and financial support, MONUC said.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  3. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  4. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  5. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  6. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  7. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  8. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  9. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  10. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  11. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  12. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  13. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  14. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  15. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  16. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  17. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  18. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  19. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  20. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  21. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  22. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  23. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  24. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  25. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  26. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  27. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  28. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  29. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  30. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.