Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Two Young Girls Shot at Kibati Camp

Previous article | Next
VOA News - December 12, 2008
Réfugiés congolais
File photo

In the eastern DRC, violence has once again struck the Kibati camp for displaced. And this time, children bore the brunt of the shooting.

From Goma, David Nthengwe, spokesman for the UN refugee agency, the UNHCR, told VOA's Joe De Capua what happened. "In the morning today
(around1am)…there was some indiscriminate shooting by some soldiers. These ended up killing one child, a five year old girl, and wounding another seven year old girl, who is currently battling for her life in the hospital," he says.

It's still unknown why the shooting erupted in Kibati, but one person has been arrested. Armed men are frequent intruders at the camp and Nthengwe says it's very difficult to keep them out. He says, "The main problem is that Kibati camp is in the middle of the front line between the FRDC (national army) and the CNDP rebel group… What we have done in many cases is to speak to…MONUC (UN peacekeeping force) to try and send a message to the CNDP and to send a message to FRDC authorities that they should keep their armed people off the civilian site."

The risk to Kibati residents is why UNHCR has started a voluntary relocation program to camps west of Goma, such as the new and expanding Mugunga III camp. "The situation there can change anytime. If the real fighting, exchange of gunfire, starts between the two forces the first victims will be these displaced civilians," he says.

There are 65,000 people in the Kibati camp. About 2,000 people have been moved so far. However, he says, "What we have noticed today is that there is an increase in the number of persons willing to relocate. We are yet to understand whether this is the result of the shooting that took place…or just general enthusiasm to relocate." The UNHCR operated two convoys Friday from Kibati to Mugunga III and more are expected over the weekend.

Mugunga III is being expanded to accommodate more people. "It has facilities which have been completed for at least five to six thousand persons and work continues on this site. It's a 105-hectare site. We would like to put as many as many people as possible…up to 30,000 displaced civilians," he says.

Work on the new camp is slowed because the site consists of hard volcanic rock, making it difficult to dig latrines and bore holes for drinking water.


Related articles


  1. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  2. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  3. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  4. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  5. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  6. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  7. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  8. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  9. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  10. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  11. Congo Army Advances On Rebels Holdout, Says Official (June 5, 2012)
  12. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  13. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  14. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  15. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  16. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)
  17. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  18. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  19. Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election (October 18, 2011)
  20. Controversy over "conflict minerals" law (August 2, 2011)
  21. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  22. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  23. Army colonel gets 20 years for ordering mass rape in eastern Congo (February 21, 2011)
  24. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  25. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  26. UN Report: CNDP, Congolese Soldiers Involved in Illegal Mining Operations (November 30, 2010)
  27. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  28. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  29. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  30. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.