Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Recent clashes in eastern DR Congo draw concern from Security Council

Previous article | Next
UN News - September 12, 2008
Un Security Council

The Security Council today voiced serious concern at the recent fighting between Government forces and rebel groups in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), some of the worst violence since the signing of a January peace deal.

The Council stressed that the clashes that broke out in North Kivu on 28 August between the country's armed forces (FARDC) and the National Congress for People's Defense, known by its French acronym CNDP, are a violation of the Actes d'Engagement signed by both parties earlier this year.

"The Members of the Council regretted the failure by the signatories to respect and implement their commitments effectively and in good faith," according to the statement read out to the press by Ambassador Michel Kafando of Burkina Faso, which holds the rotating presidency of the Council for September.

In the January agreement, the CNDP and other armed groups in North and South Kivu provinces had undertaken to observe a complete and immediate ceasefire, begin the withdrawal of their forces, and to abide strictly by the rules of international humanitarian and human rights law.

"Council members urged the CNDP to immediately cease its offensive operations and took note of a letter from that group today that announces the immediate and unilateral withdrawal of its troops," added the statement, which followed a closed-door briefing on the latest developments by Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Edmond Mulet.

The security situation in the area was "relatively calm" today, except for some minor skirmishes in North Kivu, according to the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC (MONUC), which yesterday took action in several areas of North and South Kivu to hold back armed groups and protect civilians caught in their crossfire.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  5. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  6. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  7. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  8. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  9. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  10. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  11. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  13. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  14. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  15. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  16. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  17. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  18. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  19. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  20. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  21. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  22. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  24. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  25. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)
  26. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  27. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  28. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  29. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  30. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.