Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says

Previous article | Next
VOA News - July 15, 2013
FARDC soldier in Kivu
Congolese army soldier in North Kivu province
The Democratic Republic of Congo says its forces have killed 120 rebels and captured another dozen in fighting in North Kivu province.

Government spokesman Lambert Mende said Monday that about 10 army soldiers have died in the fighting north of Goma, the provincial capital.

The United Nations mission in Congo says it started Sunday when the M23, which holds territory near Goma, attacked government troops near the towns of Mutaho and Rusayo.

Inhabitants of a village in the eastern DRC say they saw armed men in women's clothing enter the country from Rwanda on Sunday, shortly before fighting broke out near their village. The fighting continued Monday eight kilometers north of Goma, a city on the Congolese-Rwandan border.

This was the first heavy fighting at the front lines between government forces and the rebel group M23 since late May.

Many civilians in the rebel zone fled to the government side just before the fighting started. A farmer, Bifumbo Ruhira, said he left his home in the rebel zone when he saw more than 100 combatants arrive in his village early Sunday.

He said he saw many soldiers on board two trucks, and they were wearing women’s shawls over their uniforms. One of them told the villagers they were Rwandan soldiers and they had come from Rwanda as reinforcements.

The trucks stopped on the Rwandan side of the border, he said, and the combatants had run across.

Another villager, Baraki Murefu, confirmed his account, saying the combatants were wearing shawls as women wear them. It was a disguise so that people would not see they were soldiers, he said, and he noted they were heading to the northern side of Mutaho, where the M23 were positioned.

He said the fighting started shortly afterwards.

An M23 spokesman, Vianney Kazarama, denied the rebels had started the fighting and dismissed the story about armed men disguised as women.

"No, no, no," he said. "That is the Congolese culture. They like rumors."

He added that he does not know about the comings and goings at the frontier.

At the front, the M23 appears to be outgunned by the Congolese army.

That was the M23 firing, according to local journalists Sylvain Muyali and Mustapha Matabaro. Most of the mortar and rocket fire appeared to be coming from the government side

It is the Congolese army that is firing now, said Muyali.

If we go further, we will be in front of their position," said Matabaro. "At that point we turned back."

"Back on the main road, the Congolese army was moving up reinforcements. Three tanks and eight troop carriers and jeeps raced past us," said said Matabaro. "These were significant reinforcements for the army, and others were moving up through the day.   

The M23 force is thought to be comprised of about 2,000 fighters.

Army colonel Jacky Zeng had a theory about why the M23 had launched the attack. "They do not want to be forgotten," he said. "They are reminding us they exist."

It may have been a costly reminder. The government spokesman Lambert Mende has said the rebels suffered about 120 casualties on Sunday, while government forces suffered six or seven.

Peace talks between the government and M23 in Kampala stalled again last week.

Local sources said the government troops advanced Monday to attack Kibati, the village in the M23 zone where the farmer Ruhira said he saw armed men in women’s clothing.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  3. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  4. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  5. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  6. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  7. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  8. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  9. Violence in North Kivu Kills 21, Mostly Women, Children (October 18, 2014)
  10. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  11. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  12. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 251 (March 27, 2014)
  13. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  14. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  15. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  16. DR Congo, M23 Rebels Sign Declarations Marking End of Kampala Peace Talks (December 12, 2013)
  17. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  18. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  19. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  21. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  22. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  23. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  24. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  26. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  27. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  28. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  29. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  30. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.