Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
North Kivu: FARDC maintain blocking positions against Nkunda's rebels

Previous article | Next
MONUC - December 20, 2007

At its weekly press conference of 19 December 2007, MONUC announced that there

At its weekly press conference of 19 December 2007, MONUC announced that there "appears to be a progressive stabilisation" of the situation, as the FARDC have taken up blocking positions east, west and north of Laurent Nkunda's rebels in North Kivu province.

East of Rutshuru district and south of Masisi district, sporadic clashes took place involving the displacement of population towards areas occupied by MONUC forces.

MONUC continues its support to the FARDC, and has installed new mobile operating bases in Kanyabayonga, Rutshuru, Bunagana, Kibumba, Mugunga, Muja, Munigi, Ndosho, Rusayo, Kisangasi, Sake, Mushake, Masisi and Kilolirwe to protect these vulnerable populations, and to make it possible for the humanitarian organisations to provide the required assistance.

MONUC, moreover, reiterated its firm intention to keep open the trade route leading to Goma, while being ready to assist populations in danger, as well as supporting the Congolese democratic institutions in the search for peace.

MONUC also noted the continuation of the presence of hundreds of children on the frontline in North-Kivu.

"Hundreds of boys and girls continue to be sent to the frontline by the armed groups. Since the resumption of the engagements in August 2007, the monitoring and communication mechanism set up by Resolution 1612 (2005) of the UN Security Council reported child recruitment activities in North-Kivu," explained MONUC spokesman Kemal Saiki.

"According to several testimonies, once forcibly recruited, the children receive a military training and are sent to the frontline, in the middle of the clashes, whereas others are used for various logistical tasks or as sex slaves," added Mr. Saiki.

These children are particularly vulnerable to forced recruitment in schools by certain North Kivu armed groups. This means that schools are high risk places for recruitment, and may lead to the closure of schools.

Since 2004, more than 8,500 children had already joined their families after voluntarily leaving armed groups in North-Kivu. But several of them were again recruited. The current crisis compromises all the hard fought gains during the three last years of the child demobilization process in North-Kivu.

Furthermore, MONUC called for an immediate end to the recruitment and use of children in armed conflicts in the province. It also asked the armed groups to hand over all boy and girls in their ranks to the child protection agencies.

In conclusion, MONUC recalled that the Congolese national law and constitution prohibited the presence of children of less than 18 years within the army. Moreover, the International Criminal Court regards the recruitment and use of children of less than 15 years by armed forces and groups as a war crime, and can pursue all the actors of these crimes.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  5. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  6. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  7. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  8. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  9. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  10. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  11. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  13. Congo Army Takes Control of Kibumba After Fighting With M23 Rebels Resumes (October 25, 2013)
  14. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  15. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  16. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  17. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  18. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  19. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  20. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  21. M23 Arrests 110 People Accusing Rebels of Looting At Rally (July 27, 2013)
  22. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  23. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  24. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  26. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  27. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  28. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)
  29. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  30. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.