Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
International Court takes second ex-rebel commander into custody over war crimes

Previous article | Next
11:02 PM


Photo: ICC-CPI / Wim van Cappellen - Reporters
Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, has the DRC in his sights
KINSHASA, 18 October 2007 (IRIN) - A former rebel commander accused of committing atrocities in the Ituri district of northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has been flown to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague as part of continuing efforts by the tribunal to tackle the culture of impunity in the volatile country.

Germain Katanga, 29, also known as "Simba", was put on a plane chartered by the ICC and transferred from Kinshasa, the capital, to the ICC's detention centre in The Hague on 18 October to face war crimes charges.

Katanga, a former senior commander of the Force de Résistance Patriotique en Ituri (FRPI), had been in the custody of Congolese authorities.

"Today we are prosecuting Germain Katanga, leader of a militia group, who we allege is personally responsible for the brutal crimes his forces committed. His name will forever be associated with the name of Bogoro, an ordinary village, which he ordered fighters under his command to 'wipe out'. Hundreds were slaughtered. Women were forced into sexual slavery," according to a statement by Fatou Bensouda, deputy prosecutor in charge of the case.

The crimes were committed between January 2002 and December 2003 when more than 8,000 civilians died and half a million people were displaced from their homes in Ituri.

Katanga becomes the second rebel leader from Ituri to be transferred to the ICC.

The Court in January 2007 indicted Thomas Lubanga for war crimes, specifically the conscription of children into his militia. Lubanga, 46, was arrested on 17 March 2006 in Ituri, becoming the first suspect to be taken into ICC custody, two years after the tribunal's prosecutor launched investigations into his activities in the Ituri conflict.

"When Thomas Lubanga Dyilo was surrendered to the Court, we said, 'This is our first case in the DRC, not the last. Today a second person from the DRC is in custody, and he will not be the last one to face justice in the ICC. We are selecting a third case," said ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo.

"The DRC is still engulfed in violence. There is forced displacement of people, sexual violence of shocking brutality, and killings. It must stop. Perpetrators must know they will be prosecuted. The ICC is at work in the DRC," Moreno-Ocampo added.

At least 60,000 civilians were killed in attacks and revenge-attacks in Ituri between rival ethnic groups in 1999-2003, according to the UN.

ei/jn/mw

Ituri special report (November 2002)


Related articles


  1. Moise Katumbi blocked from entering DR Congo (August 3, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  4. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  5. At least 60 killed as train derails in Katanga province (April 23, 2014)
  6. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  8. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  9. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  10. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  11. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  12. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  13. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  14. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  15. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  16. Opposition Supporters Step Up Attacks on Congolese Officials Abroad (February 28, 2012)
  17. Kabila's Senior Advisor Katumba Mwanke Dies in Plane Crash (February 12, 2012)
  18. Supreme Court Rules Joseph Kabila Won Presidential Election (December 16, 2011)
  19. Kabila Leads Partial Election Results (December 3, 2011)
  20. Vote Counting Underway after Mostly Peaceful Elections (November 29, 2011)
  21. Candidates to Make Last Stand in Kinshasa before Monday's Election (November 26, 2011)
  22. Tshisekedi: UDPS Has Never Been for a Joint Opposition Candidacy (November 19, 2011)
  23. On the Campaign Trail, Kabila, Tshisekedi Cross Paths in Eastern Congo (November 15, 2011)
  24. UN advises prudent use of abundant resources to spur development (October 10, 2011)
  25. The Government Will Ensure Peaceful Elections, Says Spokesman (October 6, 2011)
  26. 19,497 Candidates to Run for 500 Seats in Parliament (September 26, 2011)
  27. Kabila's Election Speech Leads to Judges' Strike (September 20, 2011)
  28. Tshisekedi Draws Huge Crowds in Kinshasa (August 10, 2011)
  29. Global Witness welcomes DR Congo's decision to publish resource contracts (June 3, 2011)
  30. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.