Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
EU heads express 'indignation' over Kinshasa violence

Previous article | Next
MONUC - March 27, 2007 4:28 PM

EU Ambassadors in Kinshasa

At a press conference in Kinshasa this Tuesday March 27 2007, the representatives of the European Union countries to the DRC expressed their ‘indignation’ at the recourse to the violent armed Kinshasa conflict of March 22 to 25 2007, ‘when all routes to dialogue were not yet exhausted.’ German ambassador Karl Albrecht Wokalek said the death toll ‘could reach 600.’

In a statement, they deplored the loss of life, in particular that of civilians, as the Congolese Armed Forces - the FARDC - took to the streets of Kinshasa against ex vice president J.P. Bemba’s guards in the two day conflict that paralysed the DRC capital, causing much destruction and loss of life.

Furthermore, the European Union (EU) heads ‘condemned the numerous cases of looting and rape committed by troops from both camps’ during the conflict.

In the political sphere, the EU ambassadors stressed the importance for the authorities to ‘ensure the existence of a democratic space, in order to guarantee free expression to all political opinions.’

UK ambassador Andy Sparkes said that they were there to show their ‘solidarity with the Congolese people,’ who had ‘suffered much’ from the conflict.

“There remains a war spirit in the country, which is a bit like malaria. We thought we had healed the country with a big dose of quinine, with the holding of free and transparent elections last year, but this war spirit has returned.”

There remains a war spirit in this country, which is a bit like malaria

For the ‘well being of the Congolese people,’ he stressed that it was necessary to eradicate this ‘war spirit’.

“I find this recourse to violence irresponsible, it shows that this war spirit remains, and it needs to be replaced by a spirit of reconciliation and inclusiveness. This is the only way forward for stability in the country.”

The ‘BIAC’ bank building on Kinshasa’s main boulevard, which houses the Greek and Spanish embassies, as well as UNICEF offices, was directly hit by mortar and light arms fire during the violence. The Italian ambassador's Kinshasa residence was also looted. 

On this subject, the ambassadors were forthright in their views.

Greek ambassador Ioannis Christofilis deplored what he termed was a ‘direct attack which broke the Vienna convention’ on diplomatic relations.

“This was a direct attack, with heavy arms, not only on the Greek flag and embassy, but the Spanish embassy, as well as UNICEF, who work here for your (Congolese) children, and the BIAC bank, who are working here for the economic development of this country.”

He added that the DRC government had expressed its regret, and has promised a full enquiry into the events.

Mr. Christofilis went on to say that images of the attack on the Greek and Spanish embassies were aired around the world, and had affected the image of the DRC.
The real vicitms of this situation are the congolese people

“I received more than 40 telephone calls from Greek TV and radio stations. How do you now expect me to persuade donors and investors to come here? The last victims of this situation are the Congolese people.”

Spanish ambassador Jose Martinez added that it was ‘difficult to understand why the BIAC bank building was targeted,’ but he said ‘it was clear that it was not a random attack.’

Italian ambassador Leonardo Baroncelli said that the events were ‘regrettable’. He explained that, in his absence, uniformed men broke into his residence by force on the afternoon of Friday March 23, stealing some property and causing minor damage.

“The issue is that this act constitutes a grave violation of the spirit of the Vienna convention. Article 22 of the convention states that all diplomatic premises shall be inviolable, and that the state is under a special duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the premises of the mission against any intrusion or damage, and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the mission, or the impairment of its dignity,” he said.
The democratic process is not dead, but is seriously wounded

In the political sphere, the EU ambassadors concluded by saying that ‘the democratic process is not dead, but is seriously wounded’ by the latest Kinshasa violence.

“There needs to be a new spirit of reconciliation with a real engagement of the authorities for democratic opposition, where the liberty of expression is reaffirmed in the country. Violence needs to be denounced so that dialogue can continue,” said UK ambassador Andy Sparkes.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  5. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  6. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  7. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  8. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  9. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  10. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  11. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  13. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  14. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  15. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  16. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  17. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  18. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  19. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  20. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  21. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  22. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  24. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)
  25. U.S. Sanctions M23 Rebel Leaders (December 18, 2012)
  26. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  27. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  28. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  29. Congo Army Advances On Rebels Holdout, Says Official (June 5, 2012)
  30. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.