Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Kinshasa stays calm after Saturday's clashes

Previous article | Next
Monuc - November 13, 2006 2:56 PM

Kinshasa Kinshasa remains calm after the violence that erupted on Saturday November 11th 2006, in the central business district of Gombe, which involved the Congolese police and members of Vice President Bemba’s security forces, and left four people dead.

The trouble erupted at 11am close to one of Mr. Bemba’s offices on Kinshasa’s main Boulevard de 30 Juin, when street children aligned to Jean Pierre Bemba began protesting by burning tyres and blocking the flow of traffic.

The Congolese National Police (PNC) then scattered them by firing into the air. Subsequently, an exchange of light arms fire began between the PNC and the security forces loyal to Jean Pierre Bemba.

The unrest continued for a number of hours, with some mortars fired, but it was limited to a small area and did not spread due to the presence of MONUC armoured personnel carriers and patrols in the vicinity.

General Denis Kalume Numbi, the DRC Minister of the Interior, said on Saturday that the FARDC -the DRC armed forces- would intervene if the violence continued into the evening.
But this was not necessary as intensive negotiations and diplomacy between MONUC, Mr. Bemba and the PNC halted any further spread of the unrest.

UN special Representative for the DRC William Swing, and MONUC force commander General Babacar Gaye, met Mr. Bemba who agreed to billet all his troops for the remainder of the electoral process.

MONUC forces have now taken up positions close to Mr, Bemba’s residence as a preventative measure against further violence, in order to safeguard the integrity of the DRC electoral process.

EUFOR also maintained a proactive presence with patrols on the ground and continued air surveillance.

EUFOR spokeperson Lieutenant Colonel Thierry Fusalba said that they were ready to intervene on Saturday if required by MONUC.

“We were prepared and had all our resources ready at our disposal, and our air surveillance was monitoring the situation on the ground.”

Contrary to reports, he added that EUFOR did not witness the presence of any members of Kabila’s Republican Guard at the scene of the unrest.

This violence comes amid heightened tensions and accusations of irregularities in the electoral process in the last week.

However, the head of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), Fr. Apollinaire Malu Malu, stated last week that there were no irregularities in the process.

The IEC is due to announce the provisional second round election results on Sunday next November 19th.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  8. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  9. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  10. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  11. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  12. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  13. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  14. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  15. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  17. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  18. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  19. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  21. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  22. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  24. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  25. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  26. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  27. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  28. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  29. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  30. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.