Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
DR Congo peace talks suspended after arrest of rebel leader

Previous article | Next
XINHUA - January 24, 2009
The UN-backed talks between the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) and eastern rebel group which began in Nairobi last month in a bid to end the bloody conflict has been suspended after the arrest of the rebel leader Gen. Laurent Nkunda.

The UN-backed talks between the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) and eastern rebel group which began in Nairobi last month in a bid to end the bloody conflict has been suspended after the arrest of the rebel leader Gen. Laurent Nkunda.

    A spokesperson for the Secretary-General's Special Envoy for the Great Lakes Region and chief mediator for the talks, Olusegun Obasanjo, announced in a statement received here on Saturday that the talks, which had been scheduled to resume on Jan. 25 will now re-convene at a date to be determined following the upcoming African Union summit in Addis Ababa.

    "Taking into consideration the recent developments in the DR Congo, the co-mediators hereby announce the postponement of the next Session of the Dialogue on the Crises in the Eastern DR Congo," the statement said.

    The developments came after Rwanda and the DR Congo announced on Friday the arrest in Rwandan territory of DR Congolese Tutsi rebel leader during a joint military operation against rebels on their Great Lakes border.

    Nkunda has led a Tutsi rebellion in eastern DR Congo since 2004and is wanted for war crimes.

    The statement said the co-mediators will consult with regional leaders of the African Union and the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region, during the upcoming summit to be held next week in Addis Ababa.

    "The next session of the Dialogue will be convened after the consultations. The co-mediators do not see the current situation on the ground as a setback to the mediation," the statement said.

    The co-mediators called on the parties to take further steps to improve conditions for humanitarian access in order to improve the quality of lives of those affected by the crisis.

    Fighting between Nkunda's mainly Tutsi rebel militia, the National Congress in Defense of the People (CNDP), and DR Congolese government forces have uprooted an estimated 250,000 people since late August, on top of the 800,000 already displaced in the region, mainly in North Kivu province which borders Rwanda and Uganda.

    Recently the governments of DR Congo and Rwanda have been engaged in an ongoing joint military operation in eastern DR Congo against the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), an armed Hutu group which has been in eastern DRC since the Rwandan genocide in 1994.

    The UN peacekeeping operation in the DR Congo, MONUC, said the arrest took place in Rwanda, according to information provided by the Joint Operational Command.


Related articles


  1. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  5. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  6. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  8. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  9. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  10. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  11. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  12. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  13. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  14. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  15. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  16. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  17. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  18. UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels (October 19, 2012)
  19. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  20. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  21. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  22. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  23. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  24. Congo Army Advances On Rebels Holdout, Says Official (June 5, 2012)
  25. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  26. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  27. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  28. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  29. Kabila Insists on Military Discipline as Mutiny Fades (April 11, 2012)
  30. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.