Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
ICC Arrest Jean-Pierre Bemba

Previous article | Next
ICC - May 24, 2008

ICC-OTP-20080524-PR316-ENG


Situation : Centrafricain Republic

Affaire : The Prosecutor v/. Jean-Pierre Bemba Gombo


Jean-Pierre Bemba, charged by the ICC for crimes against humanity and war crimes committed in Central African Republic, was today arrested in the suburbs of Brussels, Belgium.


Mr. Bemba is chairman of the Mouvement de Libération du Congo (MLC), an armed group which intervened in the 2002-2003 armed conflict in Central African Republic (CAR) and pursued a plan of terrorizing and brutalizing innocent civilians, in particular during a campaign of massive rapes and looting. Mr Bemba had already used the same tactics in the past, in CAR, in the DRC, always leaving a trail of death and destruction behind him. 

He is the first person arrested in the context of the ICC investigation in CAR which was opened by Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo in May 2007. Further investigation are proceeding. 


?This arrest was a complex and well-prepared operation'' said Prosecutor Moreno-Ocampo. ?We are grateful to all countries involved, including Belgium which immediately executed the Arrest Warrant in accordance with their obligations under the Rome Statute. I am thankful to all those who assisted in tracing Mr. Bemba, to avoid any possibility of his escaping international justice?


The number of rapes carried out with shocking brutality is a particular feature of this case.  ?He had done it before in CAR, he had done it before in the DRC. He had to be stopped.? said Prosecutor Moreno-Ocampo. 


The Office of Prosecutor presented evidence against Mr. Jean-Pierre Bemba to the judges of the International Criminal Court on 16 May 2008, charging him with crimes against humanity and war crimes.


The Pre-Trial Chamber issued a warrant of arrest on 23 May 2008. This arrest warrant remained under seal until his arrest on 24 May 2008.

?Mr. Bemba's arrest is a warning to all those who commit, who encourage, or who tolerate sexual crimes.  There is a new law called the Rome Statute. Under this new law, they will be prosecuted? said the Prosecutor. 


?There are no excuses for hundreds of rapes. There are no excuse for the rape of a little girl, with her parents watching. There are no excuses for commanders ordering, authorizing or acquiescing to the commission of rapes and looting by their forces. We have evidence that Mr Bemba committed crimes.. With the Rome Statute, nobody is beyond the reach of international criminal justice. Nobody can side with the criminals and against the victims.  Bosco Ntaganda, who committed crimes in Ituri and continues to commit crimes today in the Kivus, Joseph Kony of Uganda's Lord's Resistance Army, Ahmed Harun, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs for the Sudan, will also end up in jail."


?I went to CAR, I met the victims, those who survived the violence, those who survived AIDS.  We cannot erase the scars. But we can give them justice. Their testimonies will be strong evidence for the Prosecution. The victims will tell their stories in Court, this power will be theirs.?

?Jean-Pierre Bemba is the fourth person to be arrested by the ICC.  On June 5,   I will report to the UNSC regarding crimes and destruction of entire communities in Darfur. Our first trial focusing on child soldiers is about to start.  We continue to monitor situations around the world where crimes within the jurisdiction of the ICC appear to be committed, from Colombia to Afghanistan. International Justice is in motion.?  



For more information, please contact:


OTP Media Liaison Nicola Fletcher (French)   
nicola.fletcher@icc-cpi.int  
+31 (0) 70 515 8071 (office)                               
+31 (0) 650 890 473 (mobile)

OTP Public Information Coordinator Florence Olara
florence.olara@icc-cpi.int   
+31 (0) 70 515 8723 (office)                               
+31 (0) 6 5029 4476 (mobile 




Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  4. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  5. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  6. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  7. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  8. U.S. sending more personnel to Uganda to hunt LRA leader Joseph Kony (March 24, 2014)
  9. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  10. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  11. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  12. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  13. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  14. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  15. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  16. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  17. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  18. Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo (December 19, 2012)
  19. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  20. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  21. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  22. Kagame May Face War Crimes Charges at the ICC, Says US Official (July 26, 2012)
  23. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  24. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  25. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo (July 2, 2012)
  26. U.S. and U.K. Must Tell Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo, Global Witness Says (June 29, 2012)
  27. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  28. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  29. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  30. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.