Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Security Council calls on DR Congo rebels to disarm, end child recruitment

Previous article | Next
UN News - December 21, 2007

Concerned at the worsening situation in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where fighting has escalated between Government and renegade forces, the Security Council today demanded that all rebel groups lay down their arms and immediately stop recruiting children. Concerned at the worsening situation in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where fighting has escalated between Government and renegade forces, the Security Council today demanded that all rebel groups lay down their arms and immediately stop recruiting children.

Tens of thousands of people are on the move again in the province of North Kivu, where Government forces (FARDC) are clashing with troops loyal to dissident General Laurent Nkunda resulting in some of the worst fighting since the DRC civil war formally ended in 2003.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reports that since August, some 170,000 people have been forced out of their homes in North Kivu by the fighting. Over the last year, a mix of conflict, military build-up and spiralling lawlessness has displaced 400,000 people in the province.

In addition, the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC (known by its French acronym MONUC) reported recently that many of the estimated 8,500 former child soldiers who have been rescued by the UN and other humanitarian organizations since 2004 have been re-recruited in the last few months or used as sex slaves.

The Council urged the Government to address the crisis "in a comprehensive way," in a resolution adopted unanimously by the 15-member body that also extended the mandate of MONUC until 31 December 2008 with troop strength of up to 17,030 military personnel 760 military observers, 391 police personnel and 6 formed police units.

More than 4,500 blue helmets serving with MONUC have been deployed to North Kivu in recent weeks to help ensure the defence of Goma, the provincial capital, and the key town of Saké.

The Council requested MONUC "to attach the highest priority to addressing the crisis in the Kivus in all its dimensions, in particular through the protection of civilians."

In addition, it asked Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to report by next March on how MONUC could further support FARDC or take other measures in dealing with illegal foreign and Congolese armed forces.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  8. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  9. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  10. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  11. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  12. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  13. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  14. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  15. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  17. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  18. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  19. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  20. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  21. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  22. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  23. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  24. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  25. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  26. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  27. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  28. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  29. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  30. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.