Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
UN experts welcome steps taken in wake of murder of Floribert Chebeya

Previous article | Next
UN News - June 9, 2010
Floribert Chebeya

A group of United Nations experts today welcomed the suspension of the chief of the national police of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and the arrest of several officers in the investigation into last week’s murder of a prominent human rights defender.
They joined Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other senior UN officials in calling for a prompt and rigorous probe into the killing of Floribert Chebeya Bahizire, whose body was found on the outskirts of the capital, Kinshasa, last Thursday, one day after he was summoned to a police station.

In a statement issued last week, Mr. Ban noted that the Congolese interior ministry has ordered the State security service to investigate the death of Mr. Chebeya, stressing that the probe must be “thorough, transparent and independent, with full respect for due process and rule of law.”

In his role as president of the non-governmental organization (NGO) known as Voix des Sans Voix (Voice of the Voiceless), Mr. Chebeya focused on human rights abuses in the DRC, including corruption in the military and the links between militias and foreign political forces.

He was also the Executive Secretary of the Réseau National des ONG des Droits de l’homme de la République démocratique du Congo (Democratic Republic of Congo National Network of Human Rights NGOs –RENADHOC).

“This killing not only deprives the DRC of one of its most vocal and effective human rights defenders, but also sends a message of intimidation and brutality to the entire DRC human rights community,” the UN experts said in a news release.

They said that any failure to identify and bring the perpetrators to justice “would constitute a huge step backwards.”

The group – comprising Philip Alston, Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions; Frank La Rue, the UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion of the right to freedom of opinion and expression; and Margaret Sekaggya, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders – also called for urgent efforts to locate Mr. Chebeya’s driver, Fidèle Bazana, who is still missing.

They called on the DRC to invite independent forensic experts to take part in the investigation, stressing that this would “show clearly and unmistakably the Government’s commitment to solving this terrible crime.”

The three experts also underlined that democracy cannot exist without human rights defenders, including journalists.

“The Government of the DRC has the prime responsibility under international human rights law to ensure the protection of human rights defenders against any violence, threats, retaliation, pressure or any other arbitrary action as a result of their human rights work,” they emphasized.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  7. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  8. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  9. Rights Groups: DR Congo Must Free Pro-democracy Activists (April 13, 2015)
  10. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  11. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  12. Senior UN officials urge Brazzaville to halt expulsion of DR Congo nationals (May 26, 2014)
  13. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  14. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  15. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  16. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  17. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  18. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  19. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  20. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  21. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  22. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  23. UN Security Council approves intervention force to target armed groups in DR Congo (March 28, 2013)
  24. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  25. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  26. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  27. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  28. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  29. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  30. U.S. Treasury Department Sanctions M23 Rebel Leader (November 13, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.