Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
New disarmament deadline, amnesty offer for militiamen

Previous article | Next

Congo Militia BUNIA, 15 Jun 2006 (IRIN) - Militia active in Ituri District in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have until 30 June to disarm, according to an ultimatum by the national army and the United Nations Mission in the DRC, known as MONUC.

The army has deployed Brig-Gen Mbuyamba Nsiona from the capital, Kinshasa, to Ituri to take charge of the operation, which is aimed at securing the district ahead of general elections set for 30 July. Speaking in Bunia, the main town in the district, Nsiona said on Thursday that after the expiry of the deadline, militiamen who refuse to surrender would be forcibly disarmed.

Two disarmament sites would be opened from 19 June for those who wish to surrender: one at Aveba, 70km south of Bunia, and one at Kpandroma, 120km north of Bunia. All militia who give themselves up before the deadline would receive amnesty from the government, he said. Upon disarmament, they would receive certificates to distinguish them from militia who had not surrendered.

"There will be no victimisation," Nsiona said, adding that government soldiers who prevent or discourage militia from disarming would be punished.

The DRC's National Commission of Disarmament estimates that out of 16,300 militiamen that had been identified in Ituri, at least 4,000 had defied an earlier disarmament deadline - 30 April - issued by MONUC. A majority of those who are yet to disarm are loyal to a new alliance of several militia groups, the Mouvement révolutionnaires Congolais (MRC).

On Wednesday, at least 121 militiamen gave up their weapons under a joint disarmament operation between MONUC and the National Commission for Disarmament. The militia surrendered in Katoni village, 15km south of Bunia. Katoni is also is home to at least 18,000 people who have been displaced by fighting, said Idrissa Conteh, an information officer with the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Among the surrendered weapons were 47 AK-47 rifles; 16,000 rounds of ammunition; and three bombs, a source at the disarmament commission said.

"Fifty other militias also voluntarily surrendered their weapons to the army," Brig-Gen Nsiona said. Among the militia who surrendered were 31 combatants from Tcheyi, 100km south of Bunia, where the army is fighting the MRC.

MONUC had identified five child soldiers in Tcheyi. "They were spies for the militias," Nsiona said.

A Congolese army captain who requested anonymity said they had information that there were 100 other militiamen who were willing to surrender, "but they are afraid of certain FARDC [Congolese national army] forces on the ground."


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  3. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  4. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  5. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  6. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  8. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  9. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  10. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  11. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  12. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  13. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  14. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  15. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  16. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  17. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  18. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  19. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  20. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)
  21. Dozens of M23 Rebels Killed by Congo Army in Renewed Fighting (August 22, 2013)
  22. UN Peacekeepers Start Enforcing Security Zone in Eastern Congo (August 1, 2013)
  23. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  24. M23 Rebels Said to Flee Rumangabo After Congo Army Airstrikes (July 25, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Strikes M23 Rebels Base At Rumangabo (July 24, 2013)
  26. M23 Rebels in Disarray in Eastern Congo, Says Government Spokesman (July 19, 2013)
  27. 120 M23 Rebels Killed in East, Government Says (July 15, 2013)
  28. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  29. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  30. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.