Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Kagame says no to negotiations with Congo-based rebels

Previous article | Next

KIGALI, 30 May 2005 (IRIN) - Rwandan President Paul Kagame said on Friday that his government welcomes a recent conciliatory declaration by a Rwandan Hutu rebel group based in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

However, he said his government would not hold talks with the group as a precondition for their disarmament and repatriation.

"All we will do is open the gates [border] for them," Kagame said. "Those who wish to come are welcome. Those who wish to stay, it is their choice. And those who wish to continue fighting can do so."

According to various sources, about 10,000 combatants in the Forces démocratiques de libération du Rwanda (FDLR) are based in eastern DRC. Some of them are accused of taking part in the killing of an estimated 937,000 Rwandan Tutsis and moderate Hutus during the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

Their presence in the DRC has fuelled instability in the region, and was used to justify Rwanda's invasions in 1996 and 1998. Kagame has continued to threaten to send Rwandan forces into the DRC if the rebels are not disarmed.

In January, the African Union announced that it would help in efforts to disarm the Rwandan rebels.

The announcement was "politically and psychologically important," Jim Terrie, senior analyst for the International Crisis Group (ICG), told IRIN earlier this month. He said it had helped the rebels "recognize their isolation".

The leader of FDLR, Ignace Murwanashyaka, announced on 31 March that the group would end military operations against Rwanda and voluntarily return home.

However, various analysts are concerned with the wording of Murwanashyaka's declaration, and worry he may try to set conditions for the return of his followers.

One FDLR official is reported to have linked the return of the Hutu rebels to opening up the political process in Rwanda and to the government recognising that during the 1994 genocide Hutus also were killed on a massive scale.

While acknowledging that the rebels do have some legitimate concerns about what will happen to them when they return to Rwanda, Terrie said that the process wool fail if the FDLR makes such political conditions.

In an ICG policy report issued on 12 May, Terrie recommended that the Rwandan government hold "non-political, technical discussions with FDLR leaders about return modalities," as well as provide "monetary and other incentives for return, including an offer to integrate eligible commanders into its army".

The report also recommended that the government identify "which commanders are, and which are not, sought by Rwandan courts for crimes of genocide and accept an option of third-country asylum for those not sought for serious crimes by its own courts or the [UN] International Criminal Tribunal on Rwanda in Arusha".

Kagame's remarks on Friday suggest that the chances of his government offering such initiatives are slim.

"We appreciate the [FDLR] statement to disarm and come back home," Kagame said, but "we will not have any discussions on modalities of repatriation".


Related articles


  1. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  2. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  3. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  4. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  5. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  6. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  7. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  8. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  9. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  10. U.S. Sanctions Rwanda Over Use of Child Soldiers by M23 Rebels (October 4, 2013)
  11. Rwandan Support for M23 Rebels Frustrates Attempts to End Fighting in Eastern Congo (September 26, 2013)
  12. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  13. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  14. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Remove Its Military Personel From Eastern Congo (July 23, 2013)
  15. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  16. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  17. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  18. Obama Tells Kagame to Stop Support for M23 Rebels in Eastern Congo (December 19, 2012)
  19. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  20. UN Security Council condemns 'any and all outside support' to M23 rebels (October 19, 2012)
  21. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  22. Kagame May Face War Crimes Charges at the ICC, Says US Official (July 26, 2012)
  23. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  24. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  25. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo (July 2, 2012)
  26. U.S. and U.K. Must Tell Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo, Global Witness Says (June 29, 2012)
  27. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  28. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  29. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  30. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.