Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Lubanga Witness Says He Was Paid US$200 To Tell Lies

Previous article | Next
lubangatrial.org - February 8, 2010
Thomas Lubanga

A witness today told the war crimes trial of Thomas Lubanga that intermediaries of the International Criminal Court (ICC) gave him US$200 as payment for convincing his nephew to give false testimony against the accused.

The boy subsequently testified as a prosecution witness and claimed that he was a former child soldier in Lubanga’s militia group, according to evidence heard today and last week. The boy’s father was the first witness called by the defense, and he told court that his son who never served in any armed group had lied to court that he was a fighter with the Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC), the group Lubanga is alleged to have led. 

Today’s witness, who started giving evidence last week, said that for the US$200 he was given, he also had to give ICC officials permission to take x-ray images of the boy to help determine his age. In addition, he had to lie to the court’s officials that he knew Lubanga, and that he was aware that UPC had used child soldiers. 

Describing himself as a farmer in the eastern Congolese town of Bunia, the witness told the trial presided over by Judge Adrian Fulford that the ICC officials whom he met during 2007 did not realize that their intermediaries had paid him.

He said he met the ICC officials and their intermediaries on two occasions, in the town of Beni in Ituri province in eastern Congo, and in the country’s capital Kinshasa. “They were three white persons, and one black person. The second time it was two white persons and two black persons,” he said of the meetings.

Defense counsel Catherine Mabille asked the witness why he told them he knew Lubanga yet in court he said he did not know him.

“I was acting, saying what had been concocted [by the intermediaries]. It was a money issue. The white people didn’t know this, but we the blacks knew. I was told what to tell them,” he said.

The boy who would later testify as a prosecution witness also met these officials, the witness said. He added that by the time he met the ICC officials, he had already agreed with the intermediaries that the boy would consent to whatever ICC officials requested him to do. 

This witness testified without protective measures such as face and voice recognition, and provided his name to the court. But he gave some of his testimony in closed session. The first defense witness asked for protective measures although at first he had indicated that he would testify in public view.

The evidence given by these first two defense witnesses has supported Mabille’s claim that she would provide evidence to show that all witnesses who testified as former child soldiers were bogus, and that intermediaries of the Office of The Prosecutor (OTP) fabricated evidence and coached prosecution witnesses.

Today’s witness said while the ICC’s intermediaries initially promised that they would relocate him to neighboring Tanzania or move him to another Congolese town, they subsequently threatened to imprison him if he “betrayed” them.

Life had got harder for him when his family and neighbors learnt about his dealings with ICC officials and threatened to harm him, he said. He said his wife deserted their home and he himself fled his house and took refugee in the bush for fear of being attacked.

“People wanted to hurt me, people from my own family,” he said. “What we did was not right because we almost sold someone’s child… they gave us 200 dollars but that was for food. It wasn’t even enough to buy him clothes.”

Prosecutor Nicole Samson asked who in his family wanted to harm him.

“Even my big brothers put pressure on me…  I was told that I was selling people, or that I was taking money to betray people,” he said.

The witness said he subsequently went to the village chiefs to ask for forgiveness. The chiefs put him in touch with the UPC secretary-general, who then advised him to talk to Lubanga’s lawyers.

Samson asked the witness whether UPC officials had paid him money to testify as a defense witness.

 ”They categorically said no,” the witness replied. “Personally I asked for money and they said no… They said they were not thieves and were not wishing to buy my testimony.”


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba named MLC presidential candidate (July 13, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  4. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  5. ICC Case Against Bemba Wrapping Up as Another Opens (November 12, 2014)
  6. Violence in North Kivu Kills 21, Mostly Women, Children (October 18, 2014)
  7. ICC confirms war crimes charges against Bosco Ntaganda (June 10, 2014)
  8. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  9. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  10. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  11. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  12. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  13. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  14. Warlord Bosco Ntaganda Turns Himself In at US Embassy in Rwanda (March 18, 2013)
  15. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  16. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  17. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  18. Kagame May Face War Crimes Charges at the ICC, Says US Official (July 26, 2012)
  19. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  20. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  21. Thomas Lubanga sentenced to 14 years (July 10, 2012)
  22. U.S. Tells Rwanda to Stop Supporting Rebels in DR Congo (July 2, 2012)
  23. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  24. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  25. Congo Army Advances On Rebels Holdout, Says Official (June 5, 2012)
  26. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)
  27. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  28. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  29. Army Suspends Military Operations Against Ntaganda Loyalists (May 6, 2012)
  30. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.