Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Fighting Follows Deadly DRC Ambush

Previous article | Next
VOA News - August 28, 2007

Government troops in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have exchanged fire with dissident fighters after several soldiers were killed in an ambush. As violence increases, U.N. officials are warning that hundreds of thousands of people could swell the number of displaced people in the unstable region.

Government troops in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have exchanged fire with dissident fighters after several soldiers were killed in an ambush. As violence increases, U.N. officials are warning that hundreds of thousands of people could swell the number of displaced people in the unstable region. Selah Hennessy reports from VOA's West and Central Africa Bureau in Dakar.

Residents in the area say exchanges of heavy weapons and machine gunfire took place overnight near the town of Behambwe.
 
The fighting closely followed Monday's deadly ambush.
 
U.N. military spokesman Frederic Medard says a Congolese brigade commander's car was attacked by unknown fighters.

"In North Kivu yesterday there has been an ambush led against an FRDC [Congolese army] brigade commander who fortunately was not in his car, but they reportedly lost ten soldiers in the ambush," he said.
 
He says the attack was against a mixed brigade, composed of both regular army troops and former rebels. The mixed brigades were formed earlier this year following intense fighting between the army and ethnic Tutsi dissident fighters, who are led by renegade army general Laurent Nkunda.
 
But tensions remain between the two forces. Residents say security has actually worsened in the region since the brigades began deploying in January.
 
Congolese army commanders have blamed Monday's attack on troops loyal to Nkunda, some of whom have been deserting ranks in recent days.
 
U.N. spokesman Medard says loyalties within the mixed brigades are conflicting.

"You have battalions probably loyal to Laurent Nkunda and also loyal battalions to the Congolese government in the same brigade, so it is difficult to know what they are currently doing," he noted.

The United Nations has warned that the increase in violence in the region is forcing many Congolese to flee their homes.
 
Christophe Illemassene is the head of public information and advocacy at the United Nations Organization for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
 
"Since January this year we have had 168,000 newly displaced people," he said.  "The overall number of displaced people that we have for North Kivu is 640,000."
 
He says humanitarian groups fear these numbers could swell.
 
"One of the scenarios that we are looking into, should fighting intensify in that province in North Kivu, we could expect almost up to 330,000 more newly displaced people," he added.
 
Nkunda says his fighters are making sure ethnic Tutsis are being protected against ethnic Hutu fighters, some of whom took part in Rwanda's genocide, and fled across the border.  Congo's army recently stopped a military campaign against armed groups in the east, angering both General Nkunda and Rwanda's government.
 
Soldiers, Hutu rebels, and dissident Tutsis all have set up roadblocks for extortion in the mineral-rich region, and compete over territory.
 
Regional military chiefs met in Kigali this week to reassess the tenuous border situation.


Related articles


  1. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  2. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  3. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  4. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  5. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  6. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  7. Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election (October 18, 2011)
  8. UN Report: CNDP, Congolese Soldiers Involved in Illegal Mining Operations (November 30, 2010)
  9. DR Congo says ex-rebel chief Nkunda to be extradited from Rwanda in 2010 (January 18, 2010)
  10. Amnesty International: more prosecutions should follow for war crimes in the Kivus (November 19, 2009)
  11. Congo rebel fight 'must continue' (November 10, 2009)
  12. Human Rights Watch Chalks New Allegations Against Congo, Rwanda Troops (November 3, 2009)
  13. DR Congo deports genocide suspect (September 20, 2009)
  14. Human Rights: MONUC releases reports on Kiwanja and Kanyabayonga incidents (September 9, 2009)
  15. 'New era' for DR Congo and Rwanda (August 6, 2009)
  16. Congo ex-rebel 'working with UN' (April 29, 2009)
  17. Return of Hutu Militias Sparks 100,000 New Displacements in Eastern Congo (April 27, 2009)
  18. UN complains of Congo troop delay (April 8, 2009)
  19. Rwanda troops withdraw from Congo (February 25, 2009)
  20. Signs of Progress Reported in Congo Peace Negotiations (February 23, 2009)
  21. DR Congo says foreign troops to pull back (February 22, 2009)
  22. Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End Friday (February 20, 2009)
  23. DR Congo, Rwanda accomplish 65% of joint military operation (February 15, 2009)
  24. UN mission in DR Congo says situation calm in North Kivu province (February 8, 2009)
  25. Kinshasa and Kigali Hold Talks over Extradition of Rebel Leader (February 6, 2009)
  26. DR Congo says over 2,000 Rwandan refugees ready to return (February 4, 2009)
  27. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)
  28. DRC Army Integrates Over 6,000 Rebels (January 29, 2009)
  29. Amnesty International: Laurent Nkunda and Bosco Ntaganda must face justice (January 28, 2009)
  30. Rebel Integration Into Congo Army Fails to Begin (January 28, 2009)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.