Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Conviction of Government soldiers in DR Congo welcomed by UN mission

Previous article | Next
UN News - July 30, 2007

Conviction of Government soldiers in DR Congo welcomed by UN mission

30 July 2007 The United Nations peacekeeping mission to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) today welcomed the conviction by a Congolese court of nine Government soldiers for killing 31 unarmed civilians last year.

The court in Bunia, the capital of Ituri province in the north-east of the country, found nine defendants guilty of war crimes, rape, arson, pillaging and murder, UN spokesperson Marie Okabe told reporters in New York.

The court handed down lengthy sentences, including life in prison for the leader of the assault on 11 August 2006.

Most of the victims had been displaced by the violence in the vast Central African nation in recent years.

The UN mission, known as MONUC, said that although the ruling sends a strong message again impunity in the DRC, much remains to be done, including the prosecution of other similar cases.

In a related development, a UN independent expert said that violence against women in the DRC "seems to be perceived by large sectors of society to be normal."

Yakin Ertürk, the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, observed in a statement that "tragically, in a resource-rich country like DRC, poverty is all too striking and women disproportionately bear its hardships and burden."

Ms. Ertürk visited the country from 16 to 27 July, and focused primarily on sexual violence, which she said "is rampant and committed by non-state armed groups, the Armed Forces of the DRC, the National Congolese Police and increasingly also by civilians."

The situation in South Kivu province - which she said is the worst crisis she has come across so far - must be addressed immediately, she said.

The South Kivu Provincial Synergie on Sexual Violence, which brings together Government, UN and civil society representatives, has recorded 4,500 sexual violence cases in the first half of this year.

"The real number of cases is certainly many times higher as most victims live in inaccessible areas, are afraid to report or did not survive the violence," the Rapporteur said.

The atrocities - mostly committed by foreign non-state armed groups - are "of an unimaginable brutality that goes far beyond rape" and are "structured around rape and sexual slavery and aim at the complete physical and psychological destruction of women with implications for the entire society," she noted.

So far, the DRC armed forces, known as FARDC, have not been able to halt the violence against women in South Kivu. Therefore, Ms. Ertürk said, the international community and the Government must act urgently to bring an end to such atrocities.

The FARDC, the National Congolese Police (PNC) and other State security forces also commit acts of sexual violence which is not isolated to the country's troubled east. Particularly troubling is that major perpetrators of grave human rights violations are not excluded from being integrated into the regular armed forces, thus allowing a high number of such men to assume high ranks in the military.

The Rapporteur voiced alarm that in Equateur Province, the PNC and FARDC launch reprisal attacks targeting civilians and involving "indiscriminate pillaging, torture and mass rape." Last December, the 70 members of the PNC took revenge for the burning of a police station by torturing civilians and raping over three dozen women, as well as an 11-year-old girl, and yet no police officers have been charged or arrested, she said.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  8. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  9. DR Congo: The country that knows how to beat Ebola (December 11, 2014)
  10. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  11. Ebola Epidemic Resurfaces in DR Congo's Equateur Province (August 25, 2014)
  12. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  13. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  14. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  15. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  16. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  17. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  18. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  19. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  20. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  21. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  22. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  23. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  24. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  26. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  27. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  28. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  29. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  30. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.