Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Soldiers go AWOL as dissident leader issues call to arms

Previous article | Next

GOMA, 31 Aug 2005 (IRIN) - The day after a dissident army leader in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) called for an insurrection, the 53rd Army Battalion and four companies of the 2nd Mixed Battalion in the east of the country went missing.

"We have launched an investigation into the whereabouts of the battalion and will arrest those who instigated the desertion," Adolphe Onusumba, the minister of defence, told IRIN on Tuesday.

He said the 500 men of the 53rd, commanded by Maj Innocent Kabundi, disappeared on Friday from their base in the village of Burungu, 45 km north of Goma, capital of North Kivu Province.

Gen Gabriël Amisi, who commands the 8th Military Region in North Kivu, said on Tuesday that the four companies of the 2nd Mixed Battalion, under assistant battalion commander Capt Faustin Muhima, deserted their base in the town of Kanyabayonga, 109 km north of Goma. He would not specify how many soldiers were in the four companies.

Most of the deserters are Congolese Tutsis. They are either from the former army that was overthrown in 1997 or combatants in a former eastern rebel group, the Rassemblement congolais pour la democratie (RCD).

Armed groups from the country's civil war are supposed to have some of their fighters integrated into the new national army, in accordance with a 2002 peace agreement. Amisi said soldiers of the 2nd Battalion who deserted their base in Kanyabayonga had been resisting integration.

"They fled because they did not want to go to the centre for integration," Amisi said.

On Thursday, a 17-page communiqué attributed to a dissident army general, Laurent Nkunda, was secretly distributed in Goma. The communiqué called for the renewal of hostilities against the government in Kinshasa. However, evidence that the troops deserted to join Nkunda's insurgency remains circumstantial.


Related articles


  1. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  2. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  3. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  4. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  5. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  6. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  7. Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election (October 18, 2011)
  8. UN Report: CNDP, Congolese Soldiers Involved in Illegal Mining Operations (November 30, 2010)
  9. DR Congo says ex-rebel chief Nkunda to be extradited from Rwanda in 2010 (January 18, 2010)
  10. Amnesty International: more prosecutions should follow for war crimes in the Kivus (November 19, 2009)
  11. Congo rebel fight 'must continue' (November 10, 2009)
  12. Human Rights Watch Chalks New Allegations Against Congo, Rwanda Troops (November 3, 2009)
  13. DR Congo deports genocide suspect (September 20, 2009)
  14. Human Rights: MONUC releases reports on Kiwanja and Kanyabayonga incidents (September 9, 2009)
  15. 'New era' for DR Congo and Rwanda (August 6, 2009)
  16. Congo ex-rebel 'working with UN' (April 29, 2009)
  17. Return of Hutu Militias Sparks 100,000 New Displacements in Eastern Congo (April 27, 2009)
  18. UN complains of Congo troop delay (April 8, 2009)
  19. Rwanda troops withdraw from Congo (February 25, 2009)
  20. Signs of Progress Reported in Congo Peace Negotiations (February 23, 2009)
  21. DR Congo says foreign troops to pull back (February 22, 2009)
  22. Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End Friday (February 20, 2009)
  23. DR Congo, Rwanda accomplish 65% of joint military operation (February 15, 2009)
  24. UN mission in DR Congo says situation calm in North Kivu province (February 8, 2009)
  25. Kinshasa and Kigali Hold Talks over Extradition of Rebel Leader (February 6, 2009)
  26. DR Congo says over 2,000 Rwandan refugees ready to return (February 4, 2009)
  27. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)
  28. DRC Army Integrates Over 6,000 Rebels (January 29, 2009)
  29. Amnesty International: Laurent Nkunda and Bosco Ntaganda must face justice (January 28, 2009)
  30. Rebel Integration Into Congo Army Fails to Begin (January 28, 2009)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.