Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Voter registration starts in provinces outside capital

Previous article | Next

BUNIA, 26 Jul 2005 (IRIN) - Registration of voters started on Monday in two provinces outside Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), as preparations continued for general elections scheduled for 2006, officials said.

The two provinces are Oriental in the northeast and Bas Congo in the west.

"So far 10 out of 21 registration centres [in Bunia] are operational, and we are planning to open more," Apollinaire Malu Malu, president of the Independent Electoral Commission, told IRIN on Tuesday from Bunia.

Bunia is the capital of Ituri district in Oriental province - a district where armed groups have continued to fight against each other and to attack civilians.

A Moroccan contingent from the UN Mission in DRC (MONUC) is providing security to Bunia. In June fighting occurred just 25 km south of the capital, around the village of Medu.

Thousands of civilians in the district have been displaced by fighting. Malu Malu said many of them had no identity cards or other recognised forms of identification.

"We are therefore asking that they come with at least one other person who can identify them," he said.

Another problem, according to MONUC sources, was that representatives of political parties had not come to the centres to monitor the process.

"It would be unfortunate if they complain of possible cases of fraud when they do not send their representatives to observe what is happening," Dominique McAdams, head of MONUC in Ituri, said.

Countrywide, Malu Malu said, some 2.7 million voters had been registered since the process began on 20 June in Kinshasa. Registration centres would remain open in the capital until 31 July.

The polls would usher in the first democratic government in 40 years. It would replace the current transitional power-sharing administration agreed to by the armed groups in the country's civil war.

The elections were initially planned for June 2005 but the national assembly postponed them for at least six months. In early July, European donors and the DRC government committed themselves to provide ¬85 million ($100 million) for the election process.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  11. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  12. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  13. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  14. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  15. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  16. 19,497 Candidates to Run for 500 Seats in Parliament (September 26, 2011)
  17. 31 Million Registered to Vote (July 20, 2011)
  18. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  19. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  20. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  21. Parliament Approves Constitutional Amendments (January 16, 2011)
  22. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  23. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  24. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  25. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  26. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  27. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  28. Parliament to Tackle Elections, 2011 Budget during September Session (September 14, 2010)
  29. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)
  30. UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action (August 26, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.