Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Renewed Fighting in Congo Displaces 25,000

Previous article | Next
VOA News - November 13, 2007

King report - Download MP3 (445k) audio clip
Listen to King report audio clip

An estimated 25,000 people on Tuesday fled camps for the displaced in Congo's restive North Kivu province, after fighting erupted between forces loyal to dissident general Laurent Nkunda and the Congolese army. For VOA, Noel King has more in this report from Goma.

An estimated 25,000 people on Tuesday fled camps for the displaced in Congo's restive North Kivu province, after fighting erupted between forces loyal to dissident general Laurent Nkunda and the Congolese army. For VOA, Noel King has more in this report from Goma.</ The roads outside Goma, the capital of North Kivu, swelled with fleeing civilians early Tuesday, as clashes between rebels and Congo 's regular army sparked the largest mass population displacement in months.

Aid officials say they fear a deepening of the humanitarian crisis that has seen 370,000 people displaced since fighting erupted between Nkunda loyalists and the army late last year.

"Once again displaced people are getting redisplaced, fleeing for their lives, because they fear for their security," said Aya Shneerson, head of the World Food Program in North and South Kivu Province. "The situation is still very tense."

Impoverished civilians fled the camps with little more than the clothes on their backs.

Some children said they had been separated from their parents in the confusion.

Zawag Karafuru was fleeing with her two young children from the Mugunga Two Camp.

"She says she is running away from Mugunga," said Karafuru. "This morning she heard shooting and realized the rebels were coming. She says she ran for her life."

Congo accused Nkunda of attacking an army post nearby the camps early Tuesday.

But the rebel general denied that his forces were responsible for the attack, Reuters news agency reported.

Nkunda, an ethnic Tutsi, says he is trying to protect Congo's Tutsi population from attacks by Hutu militias who have links to the perpetrators of the Rwandan genocide.

Nkunda has accused Congo's weakened national army of collaborating with the militias on some military operations.

Last weekend Congo and Rwanda signed an unprecedented joint agreement in which Congo agreed to take steps to disarm the militias.

Rwanda wants those known to have committed genocide repatriated to stand trial for war crimes.


Related articles


  1. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  2. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  3. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  4. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  5. Kabila, Army Chief of Staff head to eastern Congo to deal with defectors (April 10, 2012)
  6. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  7. Kabila Confident He Will Win Re-Election (October 18, 2011)
  8. UN Report: CNDP, Congolese Soldiers Involved in Illegal Mining Operations (November 30, 2010)
  9. DR Congo says ex-rebel chief Nkunda to be extradited from Rwanda in 2010 (January 18, 2010)
  10. Amnesty International: more prosecutions should follow for war crimes in the Kivus (November 19, 2009)
  11. Congo rebel fight 'must continue' (November 10, 2009)
  12. Human Rights Watch Chalks New Allegations Against Congo, Rwanda Troops (November 3, 2009)
  13. DR Congo deports genocide suspect (September 20, 2009)
  14. Human Rights: MONUC releases reports on Kiwanja and Kanyabayonga incidents (September 9, 2009)
  15. 'New era' for DR Congo and Rwanda (August 6, 2009)
  16. Congo ex-rebel 'working with UN' (April 29, 2009)
  17. Return of Hutu Militias Sparks 100,000 New Displacements in Eastern Congo (April 27, 2009)
  18. UN complains of Congo troop delay (April 8, 2009)
  19. Rwanda troops withdraw from Congo (February 25, 2009)
  20. Signs of Progress Reported in Congo Peace Negotiations (February 23, 2009)
  21. DR Congo says foreign troops to pull back (February 22, 2009)
  22. Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End Friday (February 20, 2009)
  23. DR Congo, Rwanda accomplish 65% of joint military operation (February 15, 2009)
  24. UN mission in DR Congo says situation calm in North Kivu province (February 8, 2009)
  25. Kinshasa and Kigali Hold Talks over Extradition of Rebel Leader (February 6, 2009)
  26. DR Congo says over 2,000 Rwandan refugees ready to return (February 4, 2009)
  27. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)
  28. DRC Army Integrates Over 6,000 Rebels (January 29, 2009)
  29. Amnesty International: Laurent Nkunda and Bosco Ntaganda must face justice (January 28, 2009)
  30. Rebel Integration Into Congo Army Fails to Begin (January 28, 2009)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.