Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Congolese Rebel Leader Seeks Peace

Previous article | Next
VOA News - October 11, 2007

A renegade Congolese general who shattered a U.N.-mediated ceasefire earlier this week has performed a hasty turnaround, demanding a halt to the violence that has killed dozens of his men. Nick Wadhams has the story for VOA from Nairobi.

On Wednesday, General Laurent Nkunda vowed to keep fighting in the North Kivu province until Congolese President Joseph Kabila agreed to incorporate his forces in eastern Congo into the national army. But now he is suggesting that the humanitarian toll of the latest violence is too high.

Nkunda tells VOA that recent artillery shelling by government forces, known as FARDC, have hit a heavily populated area in eastern Congo where his men have been fighting. He says that has forced thousands of people to flee.

"There is a problem in this area of Masisi. It is a very populated area. Now we are seeing movement of population and the bombs of long-range artillery weapons of FARDC, so I saw that if we continue they can do many bad things against the population, so I asked for the ceasefire so we can limit the problem of this area," he said.

Hundreds of thousands of people already fled their homes in recent months because of fighting between Nkunda's forces and the government. The two sides had agreed to a ceasefire last month, but Nkunda says he was forced to break it because government troops were attacking him.

Nkunda, who is Tutsi, says he is protecting people in eastern Congo from Hutu militiamen who crossed into Congo after the Rwanda genocide. He launched a rebellion in 2004 to protect the Tutsi and accuses the government of supporting the Hutu.

Nkunda says that violence perpetrated by the Hutu militias against civilians was another reason why he wants the ceasefire restored. Yet at the same time, Nkunda says he is not going to be the first to lay down arms. The Congolese government has given no indication that it will agree to a new ceasefire.

"Until now, there is no response, and even now this morning we are under their attack. So for us, we think that we are going to continue the pressure for peace, for negotiation, for integration and not for fighting," added Nkunda.

Despite Nkunda's call, it appears doubtful that eastern Congo will see a halt to violence anytime soon. Reports from the region suggest that up to 100 of his rebels have been killed in fighting since Monday, amid signs that the government may seek to push its advantage. The government claims to have recaptured several towns in the region.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  3. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  4. US Warns DR Congo Against Electronic Voting for Delayed Election (February 12, 2018)
  5. Felix Tshisekedi accuses INEC of illegally prolonging Kabila's mandate (October 24, 2017)
  6. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  7. Papa Wemba Is Buried in Kinshasa (May 4, 2016)
  8. Papa Wemba Awarded Highest National Honor as Thousands Pay Tribute (May 2, 2016)
  9. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  10. Rights Groups: DR Congo Must Free Pro-democracy Activists (April 13, 2015)
  11. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  12. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  13. Etienne Tshisekedi Evacuated to Belgium for Medical Treatment (August 16, 2014)
  14. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  15. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  16. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  17. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  18. Colonel Mamadou Ndala Is Killed in Ambush (January 2, 2014)
  19. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  20. No 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, DR Congo Says (November 11, 2013)
  21. Congo Will Not Sign a 'Peace Deal' With Defeated M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 6, 2013)
  22. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  23. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  24. Advancing Congo Troops Take Control of Rumangabo From M23 Rebels (October 28, 2013)
  25. Congo Army Liberates Rutshuru, Kiwanja and Kibumba From M23 Rebels (October 27, 2013)
  26. Congo Army Dislodges M23 Rebels From Strategic Town of Kibumba (October 26, 2013)
  27. Ban Ki-moon Confirms M23 Rebels Shelled Rwanda (August 31, 2013)
  28. DR Congo Will Defend Itself Against an Attack by Rwanda, Government Says (August 31, 2013)
  29. M23 Rebels Fired Shells Into Rwanda, Not Congo Army, UN Says (August 30, 2013)
  30. Mortar Shells From Rwanda Kill Civilians in Eastern Congo (August 23, 2013)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.