Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Renegade Congo General Promises to Keep Fighting

Previous article | Next
VOA News - October 10, 2007

A renegade general in eastern Congo says government forces have launched new attacks on his positions and that he has no choice but to keep fighting until the government listens to him and lets him rejoin the army. Nick Wadhams has the story from Nairobi.

Congo government troops sit together after they were captured by soldiers of warlord Laurent Nkunda in the village of Tebero, 09 Sep 2007
General Laurent Nkunda tells VOA News that a shaky ceasefire that was agreed to between his forces and government troops is now shattered and that government troops attacked him in the towns of Karuba and Mwesu.

Reports from the region suggest that at least 100 fighters on both sides have been killed in the wave of fighting that began Monday, after Nkunda announced he was launching a fresh offensive. Nkunda, who is Tutsi, says he is protecting people in eastern Congo from Hutu militia who crossed into Congo after the Rwanda genocide.

In his interview with VOA, Nkunda says it was the government that broke the ceasefire mediated by the U.N. peacekeeping mission in the region last month. He accused it of being allied with the Hutu as well as other smaller militias that have sought refuge in eastern Congo.

Nkunda says that when his soldiers are hit, they have to hit back. He says fighting is continuing and that Congolese forces have attacked his men in Karuba and Mwesu. He says they are with the Interahamwe and other groups.

Nkunda's forces have clashed with government troops for years in North Kivu province, and hundreds of thousands of people have fled their homes. Renewed clashes in recent weeks have forced tens of thousands of people to flee and have raised fears that eastern Congo could see a repeat of the war that saw four million people die between 1998 and 2004.

The United Nations has dubbed Nkunda the biggest threat to stability in Congo. While he continues to fight, Nkunda argues that the blame for the violence ultimately rests with Congolese President Joseph Kabila.

Nkunda says Kabila is the commander-in-chief of Congo's forces and must listen to the rebels. He says he wants to rejoin the army and respects Kabila as president. He says it is not the time to fight.

There are 17,000 U.N. peacekeepers in Congo, making it the largest peacekeeping force in the world. Yet the United Nations says the latest fighting has made it impossible to reach 150,000 people who rely on relief aid in the region.


Related articles


  1. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  2. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  3. US Warns DR Congo Against Electronic Voting for Delayed Election (February 12, 2018)
  4. Felix Tshisekedi accuses INEC of illegally prolonging Kabila's mandate (October 24, 2017)
  5. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  6. Papa Wemba Is Buried in Kinshasa (May 4, 2016)
  7. Papa Wemba Awarded Highest National Honor as Thousands Pay Tribute (May 2, 2016)
  8. Rights Groups: DR Congo Must Free Pro-democracy Activists (April 13, 2015)
  9. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  10. Etienne Tshisekedi Evacuated to Belgium for Medical Treatment (August 16, 2014)
  11. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  12. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  13. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  14. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  15. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  16. DR Congo Asks Rwanda to Turn Over M23 Rebel Leaders (July 26, 2013)
  17. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  18. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  19. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  20. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  21. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  22. DR Congo Officials Vow to Defend Goma Against M23 Rebels (November 19, 2012)
  23. At high-level meeting, Ban urges political solution to crisis in eastern DR Congo (September 27, 2012)
  24. US Cuts Military Aid to Rwanda Over Support to Rebels in DR Congo (July 21, 2012)
  25. DR Congo, Rwanda Sign Pact to Fight Rebels in Eastern Congo (July 15, 2012)
  26. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  27. UN Report Accuses Rwanda of Supporting Bosco Ntaganda Rebels (May 28, 2012)
  28. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  29. Kabila Names Members of New Government (April 30, 2012)
  30. Kabila Names Finance Minister as New Prime Minister (April 19, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.