Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Probe into MONUC gold, arms trafficking allegations "well advanced"

Previous article | Next


Photo: IRIN
The Blue Berets were allegedly involved in trafficking guns for gold from local militia groups
KINSHASA, 25 May 2007 (IRIN) - A special United Nations body has opened an investigation into allegations of gold and arms trafficking by personnel in the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC) in Ituri region, a spokesman said.

"A complete investigation has been launched, independently of MONUC," said Kemal Saiki. "As soon as these allegations appeared, MONUC immediately asked for an investigation to be carried by the UN's Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS)."

The BBC reported this week that Pakistani soldiers in MONUC had been involved in trafficking with local DRC militia groups in 2004 and 2005. The Pakistanis were deployed around Mongbwalu mining town to restore peace between Lendu and Hema communities.

Saiki said similar allegations were brought to the attention of MONUC in 2006, adding that their policy was not to comment on investigations until a report had been sent to the appropriate authorities.

He said MONUC had a zero tolerance policy on bad conduct and was keen to prevent unacceptable behaviour. MONUC was determined to discipline anyone whose conduct was found to be inappropriate for a peacekeeper.

The DRC government said it was awaiting official notification. "We [are] waiting to be officially told before reacting," government spokesman and National Communication Minister Toussaint Tshilombo said.

"Aspersions have been cast on us"

The Pakistan government described the allegations as preposterous, malicious and baseless. "Aspersions have been cast on us without evidence. This is trying to tarnish our image and undermine our very strong contributions to UN peacekeeping worldwide," military spokesman Maj-Gen Waheed Arshad told reporters in the capital of Islamabad.


Photo: IRIN
The peacekeepers have disarmed and demobilised more than 15,000 militias in Ituri
In New York, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon pledged to act quickly on the findings, urging member states to follow suit.

A spokesperson said the top UN envoy to the country, William Lacy Swing, requested an immediate OIOS investigation after an internal inquiry by MONUC brought the allegations to light in 2006.

"OIOS says the investigation is well advanced and expected to be completed in about three weeks," spokesperson Michele Montas told reporters. "The Secretary-General looks forward to the early completion of the investigation."

The UN has recently increased the number of blue helmets to over 17,500 and redeployed a contingent of 800 from the west to the east of the country.

Since deployment in Ituri, the peacekeepers have disarmed and demobilised more than 15,000 militia members.

Ei/re/eo/cb


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  11. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  12. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  13. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  14. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  15. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  16. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  17. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  18. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  19. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  20. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  21. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  22. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  23. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  24. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  25. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)
  26. UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action (August 26, 2010)
  27. Two Suspects Arrested in Attack on MONUSCO Base (August 20, 2010)
  28. Ban Ki-moon deplores deadly attack against blue helmets in North Kivu (August 18, 2010)
  29. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  30. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.