Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Congolese forces in Ituri crackdown on militias

Previous article | Next

GOMA, 3 Mar 2005 (IRIN) - Soldiers of the integrated Congolese national army began their crackdown on militiamen in the northeastern district of Ituri on Tuesday when they deployed to the territory of Aru, 300 km north of Bunia town, a military official told IRIN.

"Their job is to track down the armed bands who continue to sow insecurity in Ituri," Gen Jean Bivegete, a military adviser in the Ministry of Defence, said.

He added that others had been deployed to Ariwara, 40 km south of Aru.

"In Aru and Ariwara the population received the soldiers with scenes of jubilation," Jean Drakana, the administrator of Aru, told IRIN.

A few days ago militiamen loyal to Jerome Kakwavu who, Drakana said, was currently in the nation's capital, Kinshasa, controlled the area.

"Most of the militias fled when the soldiers of the integrated brigade arrived," he said.

Also on Tuesday, 3,000 former militiamen arrived in the military training centre of Mushaki, 40 km southeast of Goma, where members of various former rebel armies are merged into a single force, Gen Gabriel Amisi, commander of the 8th Military Region of the newly integrated Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

"The men came from the 5th Brigade of the former Mayi-Mayi movement, which before was based in Bweremana in the territory of Masisi, about 40 km southeast of Goma," Amisi told IRIN on Wednesday. "Others come from the former Armee de liberation du Congo of Jean-Pierre Bemba. After the merger, the soldiers will form the 83rd Brigade. More will arrive [for] the operation in Mushaki - about 8,000 men."

The soldiers are due to spend 45 days in the camp to get acquainted before undergoing joint military training.

Amisi said the integration centre in Mushaki was secured by a contingent of UN peacekeepers from India and by the Congolese National Police.

"A similar operation is currently under way in the integration centre Nyaleke in Beni," he said. "The operation there involves one brigade of the former Mayi-Mayi and a battalion from the former Armee nationale congolaise of the former rebel Rassemblement congolais pour la democratie (RCD) movement, in Goma."

In the course of a morale-lifting celebration for the newly merged troops, Amisi promised to demobilise 75 child soldiers, 18 of them female.

"I will hand them over to organisations that are specialised in the return of child soldiers to their families," he said.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  9. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  10. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  11. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  12. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  13. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  14. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  15. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  16. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  17. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  18. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  19. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  20. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  21. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  22. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  23. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  24. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  25. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  26. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  27. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  28. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  29. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  30. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.