Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Counting the casualties after Kinshasa battle

Previous article | Next

Click here to enlarge image
©  Eddy Isango/IRIN

Angry man stands at the burning compound of Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba's bodyguards in Kinshasa, DRC on 27 July 2006.

KINSHASA, 25 Aug 2006 (IRIN) - At least 66 people had been killed and wounded during three days of fighting in Kinshasa, the Congolese capital, between forces of President Joseph Kabila and Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba, the minister of interior said on Friday.

"The tally was made in areas the police patrolled during hostilities and does not include combatants from each side of the conflict," Theophile Mbemba, the minister, said.

Bodies had been lying in the streets, some for days.

Mbemba said 43 of the 66 people were wounded and 23 killed, among them 12 policemen and seven civilians, as well as four soldiers who were not part of either Kabila's or Bemba's forces. Neither side has so far released a tally of their casualties.

Mbemba also said 17 locations around the city had been pillaged.

Fighting started on Sunday just before the country's Independent Electoral Commission issued preliminary results of the first round of presidential elections held on 30 July.

Kabila, the incumbent, won 45 percent of the national vote but not the 50 percent, plus one vote, needed to avoid a run-off. In Kinshasa, Kabila secured less than 20 percent of the vote, against Bemba's 50 percent.

Each side accused the other of provoking the violence.

Ambassadors and officials from the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, also known as MONUC, negotiated a ceasefire on Tuesday between the two leaders. Under the terms of the ceasefire, Kabila and Bemba agreed to cede control of parts of the city to the national police force and have verification teams monitor their compliance. Each verification team comprises representatives of MONUC, the European Union's military force and police, the national army and Bemba's and Kabila's guards.

There has been no fighting since Wednesday but tensions remain high between supporters of the two candidates, who are set to face each other in run-off elections on 29 October.

ei/dh/mw/oss


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. US Warns DR Congo Against Electronic Voting for Delayed Election (February 12, 2018)
  6. Felix Tshisekedi accuses INEC of illegally prolonging Kabila's mandate (October 24, 2017)
  7. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  8. Papa Wemba Is Buried in Kinshasa (May 4, 2016)
  9. Papa Wemba Awarded Highest National Honor as Thousands Pay Tribute (May 2, 2016)
  10. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  11. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  12. Rights Groups: DR Congo Must Free Pro-democracy Activists (April 13, 2015)
  13. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  14. Denis Mukwege Wins Sakharov Prize 2014 (October 21, 2014)
  15. Etienne Tshisekedi Evacuated to Belgium for Medical Treatment (August 16, 2014)
  16. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  17. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  18. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  19. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  20. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  21. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  22. New DR Congo amnesty law welcomed by UN envoys (February 5, 2014)
  23. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  24. Congo Army Takes Control of Mbuzi Hill From M23 Rebels (November 4, 2013)
  25. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  26. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  27. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  28. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  29. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  30. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.