Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Militiamen disarm ahead of deadline

Previous article | Next

Click here to enlarge image
©  Richard Pituwa/IRIN

Militiamen register at a disarmament site in Bunia

BUNIA, 29 Jun 2006 (IRIN) - At least 1,100 former militias have arrived at transit sites in Ituri, northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, in the past three days, ahead of a 30 June ultimatum by the Congolese army for them to disarm, an official said.

"I have surrendered my weapons at last, to help rebuild my country," Ngajole Lipri, one of the disarmed militia leaders, said on Wednesday at a disarmament site it Bunia, the main town in Ituri District, Orientale Province.

Another ex-combatant, Sylvie Mave, 20, urged others still in the bush to disarm. "We have left the suffering in the bush," she said.

The number of militiamen surrendering their guns at the 12 transit sites across the district is overwhelming, an official of the National Disarmament Commission, known by its French acronym CONADER, said.

The officer in charge of CONADER's community office in Ituri, François Nguz, said one of the sites that had initially planned to accommodate 100 ex-combatants per day had received 280 in two days.

The United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) identified 18 children, including one girl, among the disarmed militiamen.

Those who surrendered weapons included 600 in Nizi, Fataki and Dele sites, Stany Kituma, a site manager said.

"Due to the massive disarmament, we intend to double the capacity of the [Bunia] site to receive up to 800 ex-combatants," Claude Diyongo, a CONADER official in Ituri, said.

"These are the real militiamen - those who were fighting in the bush - who are surrendering. This was not the case in the past," a disarmament official, who requested anonymity, said.

On arrival in Bunia, the militias are received by the Moroccan contingent of UN peacekeepers. Then, the former militiamen receive a kit comprising pans, toothbrushes, clothes and shoes for their two-day stay at the site.

CONADER then conducts identification of the ex-combatants to determine those who had returned to the bush a second time. So far, none have been detected, Diyongo, the CONADER official, said.

Those disarmed are then taken through an orientation process and then choose either to enlist into the army or the community of their choice. As yet, none has chosen the army.

"The ex-combatants opt to stay," Diyongo said. "They gain more by being reintegrated into the community."

Before they leave the disarmament sites, each is paid US $110 and given two pans, a radio and tarpaulin sheets for shelter. They also get a disarmament certificate.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  11. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  12. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  13. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  14. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  15. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  16. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  17. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)
  18. ICC suspends Thomas Lubanga trial (July 8, 2010)
  19. Lubanga Witness Says He Was Paid US$200 To Tell Lies (February 8, 2010)
  20. UN Security Council renews arms embargo and sanctions in DR Congo (November 30, 2009)
  21. Activists say UN policy must change in DR Congo (November 25, 2009)
  22. ICC: Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui trial starts on Tuesday (November 23, 2009)
  23. UN mission in DR Congo denies Ntanganda's role in military operation (September 10, 2009)
  24. First Elements of Additional Troops to Reinforce MONUC Arrive in DRC (August 27, 2009)
  25. Senior UN peacekeeping official assesses DR Congo's prisons (July 22, 2009)
  26. Witness Claims Lubanga Visited Training Camp (June 5, 2009)
  27. UN complains of Congo troop delay (April 8, 2009)
  28. Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End Friday (February 20, 2009)
  29. End of Ebola outbreak (February 17, 2009)
  30. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.