Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Tens of thousands of newly displaced people in Ituri need aid

Previous article | Next

NAIROBI, 14 Feb 2005 (IRIN) - Relief aid agencies say they are struggling to provide basic needs to tens of thousands of civilians in Ituri District, in the northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), who have fled their homes because of recent fighting.

"People are sleeping outdoors; they lack food and cooking facilities. They even lack clothes," Modibo Traore, the humanitarian affairs officer for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), told IRIN on Monday.

Many are getting sick from drinking untreated water from the lake and there are concerns that cholera has broken out.

"Some are in areas that are too dangerous for relief workers to reach," said Traore. "Some are hiding in remote areas where there are no roads."

Traore said the number of displaced people could be as high as 80,000, though aid groups are currently only able to reach 55,000 of them.

Relief groups are operating at five sites; three of which are on the shores of Lake Albert, which borders Uganda. Around 2,000 people are reportedly crossing the lake daily to seek refuge on the Ugandan side.

Last week, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) started providing potable water in Tche village, 20km from the lake, where nearly 7,000 people are camped out. However, MSF said the condition of people there remained "precarious".

The UN Word Food Programme, the UN Children's Fund, German Agro Action and OXFAM-Great Britain are among the other organisations providing food and other items, according to the UN peacekeeping mission there, known as MONUC.

Most of the violence has been taking place in villages in Djugu Territory, north of Bunia - the main town in the district - between two ethnic-based militias, Traore said. One is the l'Union des patriotes congolais, headed by Thomas Lubanga, and is predominately Hema; the other is the Front des nationalistes integrationnistes, which is predominantly Lendu.

"More than 70 villages have been burned down," Traore said. "People are afraid of returning even though they have almost nothing where they are."

MONUC has recently sent peacekeepers to the area.

Traore said reports of progress in disarming the militias had not helped end the fighting. The reason is that, so far, only leaders of the militias have agreed to join the national army.

"The process has not yet reached the rank and file," he said.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  11. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  12. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  13. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  14. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  15. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  16. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  17. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  18. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  19. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  20. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  21. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  22. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  23. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  24. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  25. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)
  26. UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action (August 26, 2010)
  27. Two Suspects Arrested in Attack on MONUSCO Base (August 20, 2010)
  28. Ban Ki-moon deplores deadly attack against blue helmets in North Kivu (August 18, 2010)
  29. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  30. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.