Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Army retakes Ituri village

Previous article | Next

BUNIA, 24 Mar 2006 (IRIN) - Some 280 militiamen have withdrawn from the village of Katoto, in the northeastern district of Ituri in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in the face of advancing government troops, a senior military officer said on Friday.

The officer, who asked not to be identified, said the militiamen withdrew to the village of Loga, about 5 km southwest of Katoto, as a company of government infantrymen entered the village. The government troops were backed by a platoon of Pakistani troops from the United Nations and armoured cars. The militiamen, thought to be former demobilised militiamen from the community, had attacked Katoto on Wednesday armed with AK-47 assault rifles and antitank rockets. Another military officer said some young residents of Katoto had joined the militiamen in attacking the small army garrison at the village.

Modibo Traoré, head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Ituri District, said Katoto was now under army control. One of the displaced, Christophe Mateso, said some of Katoto's residents had fled to Mboga and Mandro, respectively 6 km southwest and 10 km south of their village. Others, like Mateso, had fled to Bunia, the largest town in Ituri. The militiamen are thought to be members of the Mouvement révolutionnaire Congolais, led in this sector by Ngujolo Chui, the former leader of the Lendu militia, known as the Front National Integrationiste.

Recently, militiamen have attacked several army positions in Ituri. Earlier on Friday, they attacked Kasenyi Nyamavi, 55 km south of Bunia. On Monday, they ambushed government troops at Katoni and Kagaba, respectively 15 km and 55 km south of Bunia. On 18 March, they also attacked the village of Kahwa, some 60 km southeast of Bunia, where they had killed nine UN Bangladeshi troops in 2005.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  11. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  12. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  13. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  14. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  15. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  16. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  17. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)
  18. ICC suspends Thomas Lubanga trial (July 8, 2010)
  19. Lubanga Witness Says He Was Paid US$200 To Tell Lies (February 8, 2010)
  20. UN Security Council renews arms embargo and sanctions in DR Congo (November 30, 2009)
  21. Activists say UN policy must change in DR Congo (November 25, 2009)
  22. ICC: Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui trial starts on Tuesday (November 23, 2009)
  23. UN mission in DR Congo denies Ntanganda's role in military operation (September 10, 2009)
  24. First Elements of Additional Troops to Reinforce MONUC Arrive in DRC (August 27, 2009)
  25. Senior UN peacekeeping official assesses DR Congo's prisons (July 22, 2009)
  26. Witness Claims Lubanga Visited Training Camp (June 5, 2009)
  27. UN complains of Congo troop delay (April 8, 2009)
  28. Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End Friday (February 20, 2009)
  29. End of Ebola outbreak (February 17, 2009)
  30. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.