Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Military tribunal imprisons ex-commander for abusing children

Previous article | Next

NAIROBI, 20 Mar 2006 (IRIN) - A Congolese military tribunal has condemned a leader of a former armed group, called Mudundu 40, to five years imprisonment for crimes including the illegal detention of children, the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC) said on Monday.

"The judgment, which is without precedent, constitutes a significant step forward for Congolaise justice in the fight against impunity for these types of crimes against children," MONUC said in its statement.

Previously the NGO Human Rights Watch said Mudundu 40 was composed of up to 40 percent child soldiers. The condemned man, who is reportedly named Kanyanga Biyoyo, was found guilty of illegally detaining children in South Kivu Province in April 2004. The trail was conducted in the provincial capital, Bukavu.

On Friday the International Criminal Court in The Hague announced that it had arrested Thomas Lubanga the leader of an armed group in the northeastern district of Ituri, Orientale Province, who will also stand trail for conscripting children.

The recruitment and use of children younger than 15 years old by armed groups is a war crime, under the statutes of the International Criminal Court ratified by Congo. Moreover, in May 2005, the chief of staff of the DRC armed forces, Gen Sungilanga Lome Kisempia, ordered commanders not to recruit persons younger than 18 years old, and said those disobeying this order would be severely punished.

However, MONUC has reported that many new human rights abuses are still occurring. "[The army] is responsible for the majority of human rights violations under investigation by MONUC in February," MONUC's Human Rights Division said in a statement issued on Friday.

Many of the violations were committed during military operations in Ituri and the provinces of North and South Kivu.

"Acts of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment against civilians by the Presidential Guard and torture by the police were reported in three provinces," it said.

MONUC said it remained concerned by the continuing incidents of rape by members of the security forces and also that "two death sentences were passed after trials that did not conform to international standards."


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  9. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  10. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  11. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  12. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  13. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  14. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  15. Rwanda 'recruiting for M23 rebels' (July 31, 2013)
  16. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  17. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  18. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  19. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  20. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  21. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  22. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  23. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  24. DR Congo Will Not Negotiate With M23 Rebels, Government Says (November 19, 2012)
  25. M23 Rebels Committing War Crimes (September 11, 2012)
  26. Kagame Is A Problem for The U.S. and The U.K. (June 23, 2012)
  27. US blocking UN report on Ntaganda rebels, Human Rights Watch says (June 21, 2012)
  28. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  29. Congo Government Says Bosco Ntaganda Rebels Trained in Rwanda (June 10, 2012)
  30. Rwanda Should Stop Aiding War Crimes Suspect Bosco Ntaganda: Human Rights Watch (June 4, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.