Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Hundreds flee fighting in Ituri District

Previous article | Next

BUNIA, 1 Mar 2006 (IRIN) - Hundreds of civilians have been displaced by fighting between United Nations-supported government troops and militiamen in the northeastern province of Orientale in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), according to the head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Bunia, Ituri District.

Three hundred displaced persons fled fighting in the town of Tcheyi and arrived in Aveba village, 12 km south, on Monday, Modiba Traore said. "That adds to the 4,000 other displaced who have been in Aveba since the end of January," he added.

At this point, no urgent humanitarian interventions were needed, he said, but the aid community was ready to respond.

During a three-week period, between 8,000 and 10,000 people fled Tcheyi to Aveba following warnings by Gen Bob Ngoy, commander of a government operation in the northeast, that an attack by his forces to disarm the militiamen was imminent.

A government army battalion - backed by Pakistani, Bangladeshi and South African UN troops and two combat helicopters - attacked the militia early on Monday in Tcheyi from three directions: north of Tcheyi around Rusoke and Talolo, and from two axes south of Bunia in the direction of Boga.

UN troops encountered heavy artillery and mortar fire. The militia had been identified as former fighters of the Fronts des Résistances Patriotiques en Ituri who had joined a new militia called the Mouvement pour la Révolution au Congo.

The spokeswoman in Ituri District for the UN Mission in the DRC (MONUC), Jennifer Bakody, said nine government soldiers had been seriously wounded, one of which was in a critical condition. They had been transferred to the MONUC clinic in Bunia, about 75 km north of Tcheyi, she said. The total number of militia casualties is unknown.

Some 16,000 former fighters have willingly handed over their weapons as part of a disarmament and community reintegration process in the DRC and are now soldiers in the regular army or living in their home communities as civilians. As many as 2,000 militiamen refused to join the programme, which ended in June 2005.

The government has deployed six army brigades to Ituri and ordered them to disarm the recalcitrant militiamen. A brigade consists of between 1,500 and 3,200 soldiers.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  11. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  12. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  13. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  14. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  15. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  16. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  17. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  18. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  19. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  20. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  21. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  22. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  23. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  24. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  25. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)
  26. UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action (August 26, 2010)
  27. Two Suspects Arrested in Attack on MONUSCO Base (August 20, 2010)
  28. Ban Ki-moon deplores deadly attack against blue helmets in North Kivu (August 18, 2010)
  29. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  30. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.