Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Kabila Warns of Catastrophic Consequences of No Vote on Constitution

Previous article | Next
VOA News - December 8, 2005

Congo's President Joseph Kabila said Thursday that his country's voters must accept a proposed post-war constitution later this month if elections are to be held in 2006. During a rare news conference, the president said a "no" vote in the referendum would be catastrophic for the process of bringing democracy to a country torn apart by years of war and chaos.

With just 10 days remaining before the Democratic Republic of Congo's constitutional referendum, a crucial first step of the electoral process, President Joseph Kabila called a rare news conference in his presidential palace Thursday.

While noting the progress made in registering some 24 million people to vote in the polls, which should be the country's first democratic elections in over 40 years, Mr. Kabila was unambiguous about what was needed to move forward.

The 34 year-old president said voters must accept the proposed constitution if the country is going to hold elections next year, as called for by a string of peace agreements that ended Congo's five year war.

He drew comparisons with nearby Kenya, where voters last month rejected their proposed constitution in what was seen as a protest against the current ruling team. The no vote led to the dismissal of the government and sparked a political crisis.

The current government in Kinshasa is a fragile combination of Mr. Kabila's former supporters, rebels he fought against for years in the bush, politicians opposed to his party and representatives from civil society.

If the constitution is approved, Congo will then hold two rounds of elections before swearing in a new government by the end of June 2006.

Observers say the elections are also likely to be disrupted in the lawless east where thousands of gunmen continue to roam the bush, attacking civilians and soldiers of the fledgling national army.

President Kabila disagrees, saying his troops have the dangerous Ituri district pretty much under control and will have neutralized the remaining Mai Mai militia in Katanga by next year's elections. He says the government troops are also tackling some 10,000 Rwandan rebels in the east.

Congo's war was officially declared over 2.5 years ago. But fighting and insecurity means about 1,000 people continue to die every day, mostly from hunger and disease. This adds to the four million who have already died since 1998.


Related articles


  1. Moise Katumbi blocked from entering DR Congo (August 3, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. US Warns DR Congo Against Electronic Voting for Delayed Election (February 12, 2018)
  6. Felix Tshisekedi accuses INEC of illegally prolonging Kabila's mandate (October 24, 2017)
  7. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  8. Papa Wemba Is Buried in Kinshasa (May 4, 2016)
  9. Papa Wemba Awarded Highest National Honor as Thousands Pay Tribute (May 2, 2016)
  10. Rights Groups: DR Congo Must Free Pro-democracy Activists (April 13, 2015)
  11. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  12. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  13. Etienne Tshisekedi Evacuated to Belgium for Medical Treatment (August 16, 2014)
  14. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  15. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  16. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  17. At least 60 killed as train derails in Katanga province (April 23, 2014)
  18. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  19. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  20. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  21. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  22. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  23. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  24. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  25. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  26. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  27. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  28. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  29. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  30. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.