Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Militiamen burn down Ituri village

Previous article | Next

KINSHASA, 28 Jan 2005 (IRIN) - Armed militiamen have burnt down a village in the district of Ituri, in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, forcing at least 1,500 residents to flee to nearby localities, Rudi Sterz, the interim coordinator of German Agro Action in the area told IRIN on Friday. The affected village, She, is 60 km northeast of Bunia, the main town in Ituri.

"My team found the village burning on Wednesday, and saw a corpse two kilometres from the village," he said. "Armed militias who have been fighting each other in the area since December 2004, using residents as human shields, set fire to the village."

A UN brigade deployed to Ituri confirmed the attack on She. However, the UN mission in the country, known as MONUC, under which the troops serve, has not yet verified reports of a massacre perpetrated by armed groups fighting each other in the region. Both these groups, l'Union des patriotes congolais (UPC-L) headed by Thomas Lubanga and the Front des nationalistes integrationnistes (FNI), have accused each other of attacking She.

"It is the Lendu who attacked the village, but I do not see any difference between the Lendu and FNI," Lubanga said.

The UPC-L (Union of Congolese Patriots-Lubanga) in English is made up mainly of the Hema ethnic group. The FNI (th4 Integrationist Nationalist Front) draws its members mainly from the Lendu ethnic group.

Denying any responsibility, FNL leader Flobert Ndjabu said, "She has not been burnt, our fighters have not attacked, but what I know is that on 28 December our fighters repulsed a UPC attack."

However, a man who fled She on Wednesday for Bunia was emphatic about the FNI's involvement. "FNI fighters arrived at five o'clock in the morning and began shooting, raping, and looting," Richard Pilo, the escapee, said. "They killed my two children."

He said his brother, who had hid before fleeing, counted 70 corpses.

Earlier this week UN troops in Ituri dismantled four militia camps in the district; seized an assortment of materials, and captured seven militiamen, MONUC information officer in Ituri, Christophe Boulierac, said on Wednesday. He said the troops dismantled the camps at Soba, Lelo, Bembei and Mandro on Tuesday.

The upsurge in militia activity has destabalised the nine-month disarmament process in the troubled district, MONUC reported. Its chief of military operations, Lt-Col Cheikh Gueye, told reporters in Kinshasa on Wednesday that the FNI and UPC-L were the most active.

"These two armed groups loot, steal, rape and kill; clearly showing contempt for the population and for the path of peace which the majority of Iturians have chosen," Momadou Bah, the MONUC spokesman, said.

He said FNI and UPC combatants had fought in the territories of Djugu and Irumu, respectively 40 km to the southwest and 50 km to the northeast of Bunia. MONUC said during the last two weeks militias had burnt down 15 villages and the FNI had forced residents to move toward Lake Albert. MONUC said it had launched operations against the militants in an effort to restore calm to the area.

"People are victims of numerous excesses, and this has led to the displacement of hundreds of people," Bah said. "This security situation could bring about a serious food crisis."

He added that MONUC had received several complaints of harassment and would forward these to the prosecutor's office in Bunia.

"The courts are functioning in Ituri, therefore criminals can be prosecuted," he said.

Meanwhile, UN News reported that UPC militiamen fired on MONUC peacekeepers who shot back, killing a UPC-L major they had been trying to arrest near the central market of Fataki, 60 km north of Bunia. He was wanted on charges of human rights violations. Two of his associates were arrested and turned over to the police.

UN troops have begun joint patrols with a Congolese army brigade deployed to the district. They removed two UPC-L roadblocks on the Bunia-Fataki road, UN News reported.

The UN has some 3,500 peacekeepers in mineral-rich Ituri, where fighting has persisted despite the official end in 2002 of the country's five-year civil war, and despite an agreement seven armed militia groups signed with the government on 14 May to disarm and participate in the country's transition to democracy.


Related articles


  1. Jean-Pierre Bemba Returns to DR Congo (August 1, 2018)
  2. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  3. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  4. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  5. DR Congo reach final of African Nations Championship (February 3, 2016)
  6. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  7. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  8. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  9. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  10. 15 dead in football match stampede in Kinshasa (May 12, 2014)
  11. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  12. Death toll in Lake Albert boat accident rises to 108 people (March 24, 2014)
  13. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  14. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  15. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  16. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  17. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  18. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  19. UN Security Council Condemns Latest M23 Attacks, Extends Sanctions on Rebels (November 28, 2012)
  20. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  21. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  22. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)
  23. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  24. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  25. Police Investigate Former Prime Minister for Corruption (May 14, 2012)
  26. TP Mazembe Reach Sixth Consecutive Champions League Group Stage (May 13, 2012)
  27. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  28. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  29. Kony 2012 video director detained (March 16, 2012)
  30. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.