Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
700 UN troops sent to Fataki; protecting voter registration

Previous article | Next

KINSHASA, 25 Aug 2005 (IRIN) - The UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo sent 700 troops to the northeastern territory of Fataki on Thursday to provide security for the voter registration process, following an attack there earlier in the week by unidentified gunmen.

"The deployment is a reaction to militia attacks and also to prove that even if we are in charge of security of the electoral process, we still have an important capacity to react against armed groups," Lt. Col. Thierry Provendier, the UN military spokesman, said.

Fataki is in the troubled Ituri District, a region that has been prone to sporadic attacks by armed groups.

In Monday's attack on Fataki unidentified militiamen shot dead an electoral official in charge of identifying people arriving at a voter registration centre without identification cards. It was the first attack on a registration centre since the process began in Kinshasa, the nation's capital, on 20 June.

Disruption of registration has always been a distinct possibility given the prevailing insecurity in Ituri, although some 16,000 militiamen have disarmed voluntarily under the supervision of the UN Mission. However, some 1,000 other militiamen have refused to disarm and have actually been attacking UN peacekeepers, government troops and civilians.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  11. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  12. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  13. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  14. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  15. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  16. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  17. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)
  18. ICC suspends Thomas Lubanga trial (July 8, 2010)
  19. Lubanga Witness Says He Was Paid US$200 To Tell Lies (February 8, 2010)
  20. UN Security Council renews arms embargo and sanctions in DR Congo (November 30, 2009)
  21. Activists say UN policy must change in DR Congo (November 25, 2009)
  22. ICC: Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui trial starts on Tuesday (November 23, 2009)
  23. UN mission in DR Congo denies Ntanganda's role in military operation (September 10, 2009)
  24. First Elements of Additional Troops to Reinforce MONUC Arrive in DRC (August 27, 2009)
  25. Senior UN peacekeeping official assesses DR Congo's prisons (July 22, 2009)
  26. Witness Claims Lubanga Visited Training Camp (June 5, 2009)
  27. UN complains of Congo troop delay (April 8, 2009)
  28. Negotiations between Kinshasa and CNDP Rebels to End Friday (February 20, 2009)
  29. End of Ebola outbreak (February 17, 2009)
  30. North Kivu operation a boost for repatriation, peace - president (February 3, 2009)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.