Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Rwanda and uganda accused of continuing exploitation of natural resources of ex-zaire

Previous article | Next
MISNA - August 5, 2005 12:35 PM

While the armed groups of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo continue reaping terror, the financial dimension of the pillaging of natural resources, particularly in favour of Uganda and Rwanda, remains the key to their presence and justifies the decision adopted by the Security Council to extend the arms embargo: this is the picture' of the situation in the eastern provinces of ex-Zaire given by Mamadouh Bah, spokesman for the MONUC (United Nations Mission in DR-Congo), presenting a report of UN experts in the capital Kinshasa. The report establishes - or better, confirms - a direct link between the illegal exploitation of natural resources of East DR-Congo and the arms trafficking in the zone, benefited by the numerous rebel groups still active in Ituri, in North and South Kivu. In their report, the experts reveal a series of incongruences between the effective mineral resources of Uganda and Rwanda and the relative exportations: in 2004, for example, Congo exported 647,85kg of gold, for a value of around $7,5-million. Based on an inquiry conducted in Uganda, the quantity of gold from neighbouring ex-Zaire and then exported from Uganda on the international markets is of 6 tonnes, equivalent to over $60-million, explained Bah, adding that according to the government of Kampala this production is local, but is entirely contradicted by the statistics from the world gold market. Another example: last year ex-Zaire exported 6-thousand tonnes of cassiterite (from which tin is extracted), for a value of $5-million, while Rwanda - which does not result to have large quantities of this mineral - provided figures indicating that it exported around 3,500 tonnes of it, with a profit of over $15-million. The UN experts call for close co-operation between the Great Lakes Nations to put an end to the exploitation of the resources and halt the violations of the arms embargo imposed by the UN only in 2003, at the end of a war that starting in 1998 resulted - also from famine and disease - in no less than 2.5-million victims (up to 3.3m according to some estimates). The Security Council also extended the mandate of the experts by another 6 months, calling on them to continue providing information on the source of illegal financing of arms, in particular that from the illegal exploitation of resources of Congo.


Related articles


  1. At least 30 dead after massacres in Ituri (March 2, 2018)
  2. ICC Confirms 14-Year Sentence Against Thomas Lubanga (December 1, 2014)
  3. ICC sentences Germain Katanga to 12 years (May 23, 2014)
  4. ICC finds Germain Katanga guilty of war crimes and crime against humanity (March 7, 2014)
  5. Bosco Ntaganda Attacked Civilians on Ethnic Grounds, ICC Prosecutor Says (February 10, 2014)
  6. Rebel Leader Bosco Ntaganda Makes First Appearence Before the ICC (March 26, 2013)
  7. Bosco Ntaganda in the International Criminal Court's custody (March 22, 2013)
  8. International Criminal Court Acquits Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui (December 18, 2012)
  9. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  10. ICC Prosecutor Seeks 30 Years for Thomas Lubanga (June 13, 2012)
  11. ICC Prosecutor Seeks New Charges Against Ntaganda, FDLR Leader (May 14, 2012)
  12. Kabila's Position on The Arrest of Ntaganda 'Has Not Changed' (April 13, 2012)
  13. DR Congo Government Warns Bosco Ntaganda He May Face Justice (April 6, 2012)
  14. Thomas Lubanga found guilty of using child soldiers (March 14, 2012)
  15. Tshisekedi Says He Won, Can He Prove It? (December 17, 2011)
  16. Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in DR Congo (June 28, 2011)
  17. Rights Groups: Strengthen Civilian Protection Before Elections (June 9, 2011)
  18. Militiamen Sent to Testify in Warlords Trials at ICC (March 28, 2011)
  19. UN Sanctions FDLR Leaders, CNDP Rebel Commander Integrated into Army (December 2, 2010)
  20. UN launches patrols to head off rebel violence during holiday season (December 1, 2010)
  21. Congo Defense Minister Rejects UN Allegations against Army (October 17, 2010)
  22. Thomas Lubanga trial to resume at ICC (October 8, 2010)
  23. Rebel leader presumed responsible for mass rape arrested (October 5, 2010)
  24. UN DR Congo Report Exposes Grave Crimes (October 1, 2010)
  25. UN says peacekeepers 'failed' DR Congo rape victims (September 7, 2010)
  26. UN Defends Inaction on Mass Rapes in Eastern Congo, Government Missing in Action (August 26, 2010)
  27. Two Suspects Arrested in Attack on MONUSCO Base (August 20, 2010)
  28. Ban Ki-moon deplores deadly attack against blue helmets in North Kivu (August 18, 2010)
  29. ICC suspends release of Thomas Lubanga (July 23, 2010)
  30. ICC orders the release of Thomas Lubanga (July 15, 2010)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio
Available on App Store
Get it on Google Play



Contact Us | About Us | Édition en Français | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.