Submit this form
Home News Videos Music Photos Facebook Twitter Friends Newsletter Podcasts Mobile RSS
Two mass graves reported in eastern village of Ntulumamba

Previous article | Next

BUNIA, 13 Jul 2005 (IRIN) - Two mass graves believed to contain the remains of 39 civilians killed on Saturday in Ntulumamba village, in Kalonge Chiefdom 75 km north of Bukavu, have been reported to the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC), a UN spokeswoman said.

The spokeswomen, Sylvie van den Wildenberg, said on Wednesday from Bukavu that survivors revealed the graves and said they mostly contained the bodies of women and children. MONUC's Pakistani South Kivu Brigade dispatched an airborne Quick Reaction Force to investigate, along with UN civilian teams.

"This mission has the task of establishing those responsible for the massacre so that they will be hunted down," she said.

A follow-up team comprising MONUC human rights, child protection and humanitarian staff, as well as forensic specialists and representatives of Congo's judicial authorities will be sent to the village.

Survivors had told MONUC they were attacked by Rwandan Hutu rebels of the Forces democratique de liberation du Rwanda (FDLR); a view shared by the acting governor of South Kivu Province, Didas Kaningini. The survivors said the rebels struck at night. They said the rebels herded villagers into their huts, locked them up and set the huts alight. Those who resisted being placed in the huts were slashed with cutlasses.

"They demanded dollars, and since we did not have any they tied us up, sprinkled us with gasoline and set us alight," a survivor said over UN-supported Radio Okapi.

A senior officer of the FDLR, Edmong Ngarambe, denied his group was responsible. He blamed the Rastas, a breakaway dissident FDLR group which, he said, worked closely with Congolese militias. Another survivor, speaking over Congolese Radio in Bukavu, supported Ngarambe's claim.

"It was Col Kiyombe Chinja Chinja's Rastas who maltreated us. They accused us of giving away their positions to the Congolese army and MONUC," the survivor, whose name was withheld, said.

The FDLR and Rastas have previously been accused of mass killings and human rights violations in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Many of their leaders are accused of having masterminded or carried out the 1994 genocide in Rwanda in which some 937,000 Tutsis and politically moderate Hutus were killed in 100 days.

As they continue to kill, President Joseph Kabila has ordered his army to disarm all other foreign armed groups in eastern Congo. The FDLR is the largest of these groups. Others are Burundi's Front national de liberation (FNL) headed by Agathon Rwasa, in the region of Uvira; the Allied Democratic Forces/National Army for the Liberation of Uganda (ADF/NALU) in the Beni/Butembo region; and the People's Redemption Army whose precise locations have not yet been verified.

The FDLR occupies an area on the east side of the Kahuzi-Biega National Park, where there are no Congolese troops.

"We do not know what goes on over there, but we have a battalion ready and are awaiting orders to move in to protect civilians," Lt Kasanda Wa Kasanda, the Congolese army spokesman in Bukavu, told IRIN.


Related articles


  1. Botswana Urges Joseph Kabila to Step Down (February 26, 2018)
  2. No elections in DR Congo in December without electronic voting machines: INEC (February 13, 2018)
  3. US Warns DR Congo Against Electronic Voting for Delayed Election (February 12, 2018)
  4. Felix Tshisekedi accuses INEC of illegally prolonging Kabila's mandate (October 24, 2017)
  5. DRC Seeks Arrest of Presidential Candidate Moise Katumbi (May 19, 2016)
  6. Papa Wemba Is Buried in Kinshasa (May 4, 2016)
  7. Papa Wemba Awarded Highest National Honor as Thousands Pay Tribute (May 2, 2016)
  8. Peacekeepers, Congo Army to Resume Joint Fight Against Rwandan Rebels (January 28, 2016)
  9. Political tensions 'running high' in DR Congo ahead of 2016 elections (October 7, 2015)
  10. UN Report Blames Ugandan Islamists for 237 Killings in DR Congo (May 14, 2015)
  11. Rights Groups: DR Congo Must Free Pro-democracy Activists (April 13, 2015)
  12. DRC Army Putting Pressure on FDLR (April 1, 2015)
  13. Police Open Fire on Crowd Protesting Election Law Change (January 19, 2015)
  14. Violence in North Kivu Kills 21, Mostly Women, Children (October 18, 2014)
  15. Etienne Tshisekedi Evacuated to Belgium for Medical Treatment (August 16, 2014)
  16. Southern African Leaders to Meet in Zimbabwe (August 15, 2014)
  17. Kerry Calls on Kabila to Honor Constitution (May 4, 2014)
  18. Kerry in DR Congo for Security Talks (May 3, 2014)
  19. Security Council extends UN mission, intervention force in DR Congo for one year (March 28, 2014)
  20. DR Congo Takes Chairmanship of COMESA at Summit in Kinshasa (February 26, 2014)
  21. DR Congo Honors Nelson Mandela, Hero and Model for Humanity (December 6, 2013)
  22. Kabila Congratulates Congo Army for Defeating M23 Rebels (October 30, 2013)
  23. UN Security Council debate focuses on peace efforts for Africa's Great Lakes region (July 25, 2013)
  24. M23 Rebels Kill, Rape Civilians in Eastern Congo: Human Rights Watch (July 22, 2013)
  25. DR Congo Eases Process for Starting a New Business (June 3, 2013)
  26. Regional Leaders Sign DR Congo Peace Deal (February 24, 2013)
  27. The M23 Rebels Want to Overthrow Kabila? Nonsense (November 28, 2012)
  28. Thousands of Women March Against M23 Rebels in Kinshasa (November 24, 2012)
  29. Protests Against M23 Rebels, Government and UN Spread (November 22, 2012)
  30. Thousands Protest M23 Capture of Goma, Turn on Government and UN (November 21, 2012)


Live TV Congo Radio en ligne Radio


Make CongoPlanet.com Your Home Page | Contact Us | About Us | ╔dition en Franšais | French Edition

© 2018 CongoPlanet.com. All rights reserved.